Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Sig Sauer 9mm V Crown vs Winchester 9mm Ranger T

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    Well 127gr Rangers work fine.

Great heavy clothing and glass penetration.
    Every heavy clothing/denim gel test I've seen on the internet or on Youtube for the 127gr +P+ have had poor results with the rounds clogging with denim failing to expand.
    The only good performance was on Winchesters own specs, with it being fired out of a test barrel of unspecified length.
    By contrast, the 147gr Ranger T expands and penetrates well in every bare gel or denim covered gel test on the web - especially the ones where the 127gr fail.

But the 127gr +P+ has good results in Law Enforcement use, and it's recommended by DocGKR and Massad Ayoob.

Although given the fact that the OP's gun is a 3.55 inch barrel Ruger American Compact, I think that you'll be giving up a lot of FPS that may drop the 127gr into a window where it doesn't perform as well as in 4 inch compacts or 4.5 inch service pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyt Ryda View Post
    Every heavy clothing/denim gel test I've seen on the internet or on Youtube for the 127gr +P+ have had poor results with the rounds clogging with denim failing to expand.
    The only good performance was on Winchesters own specs, with it being fired out of a test barrel of unspecified length.
    By contrast, the 147gr Ranger T expands and penetrates well in every bare gel or denim covered gel test on the web - especially the ones where the 127gr fail.

But the 127gr +P+ has good results in Law Enforcement use, and it's recommended by DocGKR and Massad Ayoob.

Although given the fact that the OP's gun is a 3.55 inch barrel Ruger American Compact, I think that you'll be giving up a lot of FPS that may drop the 127gr into a window where it doesn't perform as well as in 4 inch compacts or 4.5 inch service pistols.
    K
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

The Lucky Gunner test is the one that stands out. They used clear gel which is iffy.

The other failures Ive seen on youtube have been with mediums other than properly calibrated gel.

User

FWIW the last dude I saw shot with +P+ Rangers wasn't complaining about their effectiveness. On account of being very dead and all.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    The Lucky Gunner test is the one that stands out. They used clear gel which is iffy.

The other failures Ive seen on youtube have been with mediums other than properly calibrated gel.
    I agree, the clear gel is not as good as calibrated stuff.

But if one round sucks in iffy clear gel while the other is fine in the same iffy clear gel, it does pose some questions especially since the Luckygunner tests were done with a M&P9C with a 3.5 inch barrel which is a similar length to the Ruger American Compact.

The 127gr +P+ is likely great in calibrated bare/heavy clothing gel with something like a G19 up, but I'm not so sure it would expand in a compact like the OP's gun because I do not see any properly calibrated gel tests with 3.55 inch barrel guns.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    FWIW the last dude I saw shot with +P+ Rangers wasn't complaining about their effectiveness. On account of being very dead and all.
    That's the same argument FMJ guys use though...

But you might find that your Ruger American Compact doesn't like feeding the longer length of 147gr rounds and then you'll have to pick a different one, so see what works in your gun.

Long ago I gave up on giving a shit about terminal performance "data".

All I care about now is if it is reliable, available, full power and penetrates.

If it expands a bit and still penetrates - great. If not - meh, don't care.

Even the finest, best performing handgun bullet is still that - a handgun bullet.

They are all little more useful than 2 inch dildos.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

I agree, the clear gel is not as good as calibrated stuff.

But if one round sucks in iffy clear gel while the other is fine in the same iffy clear gel, it does pose some questions especially since the Luckygunner tests were done with a M&P9C with a 3.5 inch barrel which is a similar length to the Ruger American Compact.

The 127gr +P+ is likely great in calibrated bare/heavy clothing gel with something like a G19 up, but I'm not so sure it would expand in a compact like the OP's gun because I do not see any properly calibrated gel tests with 3.55 inch barrel guns.

That's the same argument FMJ guys use though...

But you might find that your Ruger American Compact doesn't like feeding the longer length of 147gr rounds and then you'll have to pick a different one, so see what works in your gun.
    I wouldn't expect the .5 of barrel length to make much difference really.

I wouldn't want to carry +P+ in that gun for reasons of shootability not performance.

And the problem with other media is that the possibility exists for a round to give ideal performance in that and terrible performance in the correct media and people.

User

Guys over think their carry ammo. I'm not saying buy shit, but if it's reliable and a bit grey up front carry it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    Guys over think their carry ammo. I'm not saying buy shit, but if it's reliable and a bit grey up front carry it.
    Those old Norma 115gn JHP's would have made you happy. They comply with all your criteria and penetrate just as well as any 115gn FMJ.

Same expansion too...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2