Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Police asked to cut R6bn from budget

Will this signal the end for needless litigation by SAPS? This further adds to the "overstretched mandate of the SAPS" as per National Commisioner Sithole.

https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/N...thole-20190717

National Treasury has asked the police to cut their budget by R6bn, making it impossible for the police to follow through on President Cyril Ramaphosa's commitment to halve violent crime in 10 years.

Addressing the Select Committee on Justice and Security, national police commissioner Khehla Sitole said Treasury recently asked the police to work on a R6bn budget cut.
    Of that figure, R2.7bn is for the compensation of police members.
    "That proposed cut shuts down the SONA (State of the Nation Address) policing direction," Sitole said.

In his SONA in June, Ramaphosa said one of his government's priorities was to halve violent crime in the next decade.
    Sitole said policing numbers have not kept up with South Africa's population growth.
    He said the United Nations' recommended ratio of citizens per police officer was 120:1.
    In South Africa, the ratio is 383:1.
    "Policing is about numbers," Sitole said gravely. "With this R6bn cut, we can't continue."
    He said he would take the matter up with Treasury.
    In recent weeks, several key institutions in the fight against crime, such as the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA), Public Protector and Special Investigating Unit have also expressed concern about their funding in parliamentary committees.
    On Tuesday, Justice and Correctional Services Minister Ronald Lamola conceded that key corruption-fighting institution, the NPA, "is really financially constrained".
    However, the department is in discussions with Treasury on how to protect the NPA's independence if it had to resort to private donor funding.
    He said the department would provide budgetary support to the establishment of the investigative directorate under the auspices of the NPA to deal with all cases emanating from the various inquiry commissions.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Default Re: Police asked to cut R6bn from budget

I bet the PPU (poes protection unit) won’t have a budget cut.
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

Quote Originally Posted by CorditeCrazy View Post
    I bet the PPU (poes protection unit) won’t have a budget cut.
    Hahaha!

They should consider this. Instead off all the CFR admin people just sitting around not doing there work for hours on end. If they just do their work on time. They will save huge on unproductive work hours.

I thought they wanted to hire more police officers, how does this work with a massive budget cut??

User

I’m not worried, we still have a well armed private security industry to help fight crime. Oh wait...

User

... my cynic alarm bells have sounded.

How does Cyril and the govt. seriously think/believe that by (a) seriously cutting the SAPS budget; (b) failing to take some serious action against errant and corrupt officers; and (c) making it more difficult for law-abiding citizens and the AR companies to obtain and legally licence FA's, things to do with crime are going to get better.

Perhaps they think that this will all happen by magic (or that crime will sort itself out over time)!??

or is there really no political will to turn the rampant crime around...

User

budget vs no brains

if they had any brains they wouldn't have wasted millions on litigation thus far

User

The NDR needs money people.

User

Does anybody know what % of the budget R6bn is?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast