Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Semi Auto Shotgun advise

Good Day people, Im in the market for a semi-auto shotgun, and im actually one of the few people who asks for reviews and advise BEFORE I buy a gun, I shit you not....

I saw the Beretta 1301 on SO website for R22995.
    24" Barrel, and im sure you can fit a magazine tube extension?

My sport of choice is IDPA so this shotgun will be used for DMG, but I might want to hunt some bird with it, and I dont know if I might want to do 3 Gun in the future so I dont really want to buy a gun that excludes me from that.... (I dont know anything about IPSC, and Im relatively new to IDPA)

I would obviously love a Beneli M2 but I dont have R35000 (and then another R50000 for the divorce lawyers after my wife leaves me ) But I can maybe save up...

Is there a cheap alternative which would suit my need? I all ready own a Maverick88 and ill probably get rid of it to fund the new one but ill put that up for sale at a later stage....

What do you guys use and what would you suggest? TIA

Default Re: Semi Auto Shotgun advise

I'd say Beretta 1301 is a good option. There was a huge special on 1301s last month, they were on sale for +-R13000. That would have been good, pity you probably missed it.

I have a 1301 Tactical which is not ideal for matches I think, but it's what I have. I did fold and buy a 1301 Comp on the special.

Others might suggest the Benelli M2 and SP. That's a wonderful option if you are willing to save up. Beretta is bringing out a competitor to the Benelli SP if memory serves with the loading port already cut, smoothed etc but I'm not sure on pricing.

Not a lot of people would suggest a pistol grip for competition so a Benelli M4 with pistol grip is not ideal for competition purposes IMHO.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

User

The 1301 is a great gun, only downside being parts availability.

The M2 Sp is great value long term as you need to buy less things for it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    The 1301 is a great gun, only downside being parts availability.

The M2 Sp is great value long term as you need to buy less things for it.
    Please elaborate, Part availability being the same as for the rest of their guns in SA? How bad is it really?
    Would it be a problem to get a tube extension?
    What things would I need to buy for it were I would not have to with the Beneli?

How is Benelli service in SA?

Would the Benelli be the shotgun to buy "once and for all" if you know what Im saying?

Much appreciated...

AOS or whatever they call themselves these days is the Beretta agent as far as I recall.

Their service is abysmal. They have no interest, or even an understanding of the need to, in supplying parts. They don't even order spares.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Parts like firing pins extractors etc. Aftermarket stuff is well supported by guys like Hailstorm.

The Benelli comes with the extended tube the flip up slug sight.

The Benelli needed a couple things to make me happy. But personally thats what I went with and I will be buying a back up when I have the cash.

Hailstorm had a large selection of service parts last time I was there.

User

I am an active IDPA and DMG shooter... who walked this route some years ago. Aside from the above SG's, I would also check out the SAR Dashprod semi-auto SG (made in Turkey and used by NATO forces) which a number of shooters (incl. me) bought for these purposes. It is really well-priced (think it cost me around R7k 3-4 years ago).

Search on GS for a number of threads on this SG (including my own)...

That said (and as a keen wingshooter too), please be aware that a semi-auto SG would generally be frowned upon if you arrive at a bird shoot with it (I tend to shoot double-barrelled over and under SG's for those purposes).... and, yes, I do know that some people use semi's for bird shooting which need to be limited to 3 shots (and are subject to the particular province's provincial hunting legislation).... yada, yada, yada.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    AOS or whatever they call themselves these days is the Beretta agent as far as I recall.

Their service is abysmal. They have no interest, or even an understanding of the need to, in supplying parts. They don't even order spares.
    This has put me off the Beretta, I use to own an HK P30L (bought before consulting anyone) and the frustration of not being able to get parts and accessories was not even close to worth the quality of the firearm, so between Beretta and Benelli I guess its a no brainer, Ill speak to the bank.....

User

Quote Originally Posted by Tayls View Post
    I am an active IDPA and DMG shooter... who walked this route some years ago. Aside from the above SG's, I would also check out the SAR Dashprod semi-auto SG (made in Turkey and used by NATO forces) which a number of shooters (incl. me) bought for these purposes. It is really well-priced (think it cost me around R7k 3-4 years ago).

Search on GS for a number of threads on this SG (including my own)...

That said (and as a keen wingshooter too), please be aware that a semi-auto SG would generally be frowned upon if you arrive at a bird shoot with it (I tend to shoot double-barrelled over and under SG's for those purposes).... and, yes, I do know that some people use semi's for bird shooting which need to be limited to 3 shots (and are subject to the particular province's provincial hunting legislation).... yada, yada, yada.
    Im not too bothered about hunting with it, maybe once a year, at a private farm of a friend of mine, so I wont look like too much of a doos

About the turkish guns, 7K sounds WAAAAY better than 30K, but will it be your "happily ever after" shotgun?

And will you be able to do prectical shooting with it?

User

Tactical HQ still have the 1301 on special for like R13k.

Have at it bro!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast