User

Default Too many rifles???

HI Guys, I had a problem going to the range with more than two rifles plus a handgun or seven. I noted a fellow rifleman at the new range in Hermanus carried his in a ridgid golf club transport carrier. It has wheels and handles in the most opportune places. The problem I saw that it was a huge open area and the rifles would rattle around in it, so I built rests and compartments. Taking many memorable hours of plotting and planning the build came together nicely allowing me to carry four rifles and a few handguns safely in one bag. Yahoo, I had it solved. Waiting for the next shoot I met up with the fellow shooter and showed him my work of art, boasting ever so slightly, He scratched his head and after a while said that it was nice and all that but he had more than four rifles he uses and that he puts them in a carry bag an dumps them in the golf carrier just for transport. Now I feel like a right twat because I have to select the rifles I want to shoot on the day and leave the others at home. Needless to say my next project is to rip all my painstakingly hard work out and revert back to basics. If it aint broke don't fix it.... LOL.

Default Re: Too many rifles???

Busb baby makes a nice Range Trolley for 999 at Checkers hyper. Nice big soft wheels for sand as well.

However dont you feel slightly unsafe with couple rifles or handguns when you go forward to patch targets. Easy for someone to remove one and youll me -1 at days end.

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post

However dont you feel slightly unsafe with couple rifles or handguns when you go forward to patch targets. Easy for someone to remove one and youll me -1 at days end.
    Bicycle chain through all the trigger guards?

Saw a guy at the range the other day that had a stroller converted to a gun carrier. But he only had one firearm on it, it was more about carrying the ammo and accessories. Not a bad idea if you think about it.

The Bush Baby one I bought at Checker Hyper some time back looks similar to this one. Same wheels. Color just more OD. My 12 year old daughter sits in it and I pull her easily. Very Sturdy

User

I just take rifles out one at a time. Will have a look at the trolley though as I hate running multiple times to get everything back.

User

I had this idea years ago......but never followed up. Now that I am doing some research for your post......I see it is quite commonly done. Mofo's musta done mindread me them sonsabitches!

You should look to people who have had their first child. People buy all sorts of stuff the first baby around, to make baby and toddler handling easier. For subsequent children....not so much as they have realized where the baby industry is looking to part them with their money.

Mom's often also want to work off a little gained weight and often turn to the jogging stroller. Because the health and fitness industry also has their number. They buy these....use them 3 times and then they become a storage problem. Now they have to sell them and often they become cheap yard/garage sale items.

This has been my own plan for a while and what sucks is ........we used to have one....bought it brand new and then dumped it after a couple years.....before I was doing a lot of long distance shooting with rifles. I think we got $30 for it and paid around $100-$120 for it. They work great....but really, only for jogging or walking etc where there is not a lot of people avoiding........because they are longer than a regular stroller so harder to navigate around crowds like at Disneyland etc. And people....especially non-baby people.....get rather indignant when you bump them or block their way with a baby stroller. You get the stink-eye.

Anyway.....take one of these and take off all the seat and storage stuff (or not) and make something to support the rifles and accessories or get something like this..... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...f8ba24b9cb9482

I like the one's with the large wheels and fixed front wheel.....not the small wheels with a smart wheel up front. (rotating). Look for these at garage sales for way less money than new....and grind them down in price anyway.........because you don't need a new one and the high price of that. You are going to modify it and maybe even take some Krylon Camo to it.

Here are some ideas.

This one has the smaller front smart wheel....wouldn't be my first choice. Also....not sure about having the weight outside the frame to avoid tipping to the side. I'm also not sure if the wheels are designed to come on and off easily.

What's nice is they fold up and with the larger wheel one's.....the front wheels have a quick disconnect axle....the rear also pop off.... for flat storage or hanging. (not sure about the wheels coming off on the smaller wheel type)

On the one we had....the fabric started ripping/tearing in higher stress areas. For sure the lower compartment would not hold boxes of ammo etc very well before breaking. My plan was to come up with something sturdier. Either a stout canvas that I would have to have sewn with webbing etc which would have cost me and also some fitting involved.......or to make a shelf of some sort. Same for the seat area.......something that could easily take some serious weight like a couple rifles, a shotgun, some pistols and ammo for all plus any accessories, shooting mat etc. Wood and aluminum sheeting or angle stock was my thought. The trick would have been to still make it foldable. If you have a bakkie or an SUV that will take the stroller unfolded......and lot's of storage space or don't mind leaving it outdoors.....not so necessary to make it fold.

Of course one can always use such a stroller for guns only and carry all the ammo and accessories in with a sturdy backpack.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

When I read the title of the tread my initial reaction was “I’m not sure I understand your problem”
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.