Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    User

Default Re: Add-ons on self defense

Quote Originally Posted by GAZZAMCK View Post
    the point is, it doesnt really matter whats legal (until you have your court date)

what matters at that moment is what the offfffasir of da law believes

would it be possible to sue an officer in personal capacity for wrongful arrest?
    Yes it can and has been done. Just ask Capt. Mahlangu who was briefly the Crime Prevention unit CO at S/Side or whomever was Station Commander at PTA West a few years back when a sober man was detained in his cells for drunk driving to "teach him a lesson", or the head office Col. who arrested the Groblersdal Magistrate and State Prosecutor for withdrawing charges in a case where the police could not produce any evidence; why they don't have a pension.

There are other cases aside from these 3 examples where the court ordered the minister to pay and recover the cost from the cop's pension fund and salary.

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    Viridian makes a holster which switches your light or laser on an doff as you holster and draw it. For those worried about no getting on button.

Honestly if your a competent shooter. You will actually notice you can hit a man size chest target at 10m at least with out even using the sights. Off course you need to use it to make sure not to miss. But in a tense fast pace draw situation you might not even use the sights at all.

That’s a party trick. Not a defensive tactic. Yes you can maybe hit a “man size target” but can you do it without fail. Cold. On demand.

And you would be surprised how often the sights are used when people think they aren’t.

Nonetheless it’s irrelevant. Hitting a man size target does nothing. If you want to stop your attacker. As opposed to relying on him to choose to stop , your trying to hit one of two fist sized targets. Which ups the difficulty dramatically.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ikhwane View Post
    Do guys think its worth the money? For a carry gun. Worse case scenario, the money for milling plus a decent dot spent on ammunition and training would go a long way.
    It’s not about one or the other. The red dot doesn’t remove the need for training. It requires training and practise to employ effectively. It offers great capability though if you’re prepared to do the work.

Without the work it’s not worth the money. If you do the work the ability to make better hits on the move on moving targets in all manner of lighting conditions while being able to focus on the target at all times and as a result being more aware of its actions is what I consider an advantage.

User

I can see the advantage of a dot sight on an EDC gun, for someone who has actually trained enough with it. Not that you can ever train enough, but I mean enough to be better with it than with irons. There are lots of advantages.

There are also some disadvantages. I am not ready to make the jump yet, but I do watch developments in this field with interest. For now I can still see my sights, most of the time...

As far as compensators / ports on EDC guns go, I am not too sold on the concept yet. There are a few negatives, like the bigger flash at night and the issues when shooting from retension. All of these can actually be overcome, but I don't want to go there yet either. My compensated guns are currently limited to sports shooting. I do however reserve the right to use them for any legal purpose as provided for in S16(3) of the FCA.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    I’ve seen iron sights fail too. A lot.
    Can you give me some more detail please. What actually failed? Was it the original sights, aftermarket? Were they not properly attached, screws work loose?

User

Correct me if I'm wrong but I also feel an rds is easier to train new shooters with. People with weak grips/ strenght issues can also use it to rack the slide.

Big T;
    He is best who is trained in the severest school! Fear no man.

User

Quote Originally Posted by janfred View Post
    Can you give me some more detail please. What actually failed? Was it the original sights, aftermarket? Were they not properly attached, screws work loose?
    Yes to all of those

They also can break when you drop or bump them. They can lose zero too

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3