Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Maybe it's changed since last time I thought about it, but last I found that it's a bit hard to shoot with a red dot with a dead battery, or you draw and the thing's not turned on, and it snags on clothing and other things, or you can't find the dot under pressure, etc. I've seen all the above happen at the range before. I guess it does depend on what RDS you have installed though.

I’ve seen iron sights fail too. A lot.

And you can have buis if it does fail. In which case you’re no worse off.

It doesn’t snag anymore at all. And you’re just as likely to not find your irons.

But the red dot does allow target focus with greater down range situational awareness , greater speed potential and better accuracy.

User

Default Re: Add-ons on self defense

And dot sights are also great for low light shooting, providing that they are adjusted to the correct brightness.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Murphy View Post
    And dot sights are also great for low light shooting, providing that they are adjusted to the correct brightness.
    As long as you can see the dot they’re workable.

Even if set too bright you can still use them effectively as long as both eyes are open as they should be.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Maybe it's changed since last time I thought about it, but last I found that it's a bit hard to shoot with a red dot with a dead battery, or you draw and the thing's not turned on, and it snags on clothing and other things, or you can't find the dot under pressure, etc. I've seen all the above happen at the range before. I guess it does depend on what RDS you have installed though.
    The RDS on handgun for SD or duty use has come a long way. There are even RDS specific classes being held abroad for duty use.

Viridian makes a holster which switches your light or laser on an doff as you holster and draw it. For those worried about no getting on button.

Honestly if your a competent shooter. You will actually notice you can hit a man size chest target at 10m at least with out even using the sights. Off course you need to use it to make sure not to miss. But in a tense fast pace draw situation you might not even use the sights at all.

User

Well then, colour me schooled. A apologise for calling it stupid!

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    Viridian makes a holster which switches your light or laser on an doff as you holster and draw it. For those worried about no getting on button.

Honestly if your a competent shooter. You will actually notice you can hit a man size chest target at 10m at least with out even using the sights. Off course you need to use it to make sure not to miss. But in a tense fast pace draw situation you might not even use the sights at all.
    This is also false,

Remember you are not just trying to hit "the Chest" you are trying to hit vital organs, which are small, small things require the use of sights.

User

I'm reminded of that old joke where the airhostess tells people landing in SA to set their watches back 20 years

User

Until 2 or 3 days ago, I didn't know people used Red dots for carry. I thought it was for competition rigs only. Started reading up about it. Mixed opinions out there about red dots, some people for, some against. Concerns are mainly around battery life, size, and realibity.

Good units batteries seem to least from 12 months to 36 months, depending on brands and models. Good brands are apparently very robust and can take thousands of rounds without sweat. Backup iron sights recommend for just incase. Biggest concern I've seen is using the factory dovetail for a red dot. Most advocates recommend having the slide milled and having the red dot mounted for maximum reliability.
    As for getting caught in clothing, and the size concerns for concealed carry, that is most likely the biggest trade off.

Do guys think its worth the money? For a carry gun. Worse case scenario, the money for milling plus a decent dot spent on ammunition and training would go a long way.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast