Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Glock 17 Gen 5 MOS, good or what?

Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of getting a Glock 17 Gen 5 MOS, for sport shooting. Would this be a good model to go for, to allow me to take part in many different disciplines of sport shooting?

Any pointers will be much appreciated, thanks.

User

Default Re: Glock 17 Gen 5 MOS, good or what?

G17 MOS is good to go.

You may not need the red dot sight now but as you get older you will :)

Should suit you for most disciplines of shooting.

Don't sleep on it , get your app in.

User

Thanks for the reply.

Quick one, I've recently gotten my dedicated status (sport) via NHSA, would the next step be to buy the firearm, then apply for endorsement via NHSA, then go to DFO and do the application as per normal?

This is my first section 16 license, so please forgive my ignorance.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Hyades View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

Quick one, I've recently gotten my dedicated status (sport) via NHSA, would the next step be to buy the firearm, then apply for endorsement via NHSA, then go to DFO and do the application as per normal?

This is my first section 16 license, so please forgive my ignorance.
    The endorsement usually takes a day or two but you have to attach your final motivation to it and that takes a bit of time to write if you do it properly.

Personally I'd :

- Get the application forms and checklist from the DFO (the checklist differs from DFO to DFO, some want more than others).

- Do the motivation and endorsement first so that you know it's done. Make sure it's detailed and you cover the main points they want - which sport activities will you be using it in, why this specific handgun is suited to those sport activities, why this specific calibre is suited to you and your sport activities. There are some more motivation ideas in one of the threads here if you search "motivation ideas".|
    Make sure your motivation is signed. And if you want to use a company to make it, just know they like rejecting some that look too familiar to others.

- Buy the firearm, preferably from a store with a range so you can practice with it if you want to, but also know that if your license is rejected and you decide not to reapply/appeal and wish to sell the firearm, it will be a second hand firearm and not brand new.

Also, I'm a fan of putting extra copies of certificates at the end of my motivation document that I can refer to as attachments a/b/c/d,etc.
    This way I can have a certified copy of ID, proof of residence, all NHSA certificates, certified copy of SAPS competency and the proficiency certificates for handgun+legal in my application.

And good luck :)

User

What sport and division are you planing on shooting?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Nyt Ryda View Post
    The endorsement usually takes a day or two but you have to attach your final motivation to it and that takes a bit of time to write if you do it properly.

Personally I'd :

- Get the application forms and checklist from the DFO (the checklist differs from DFO to DFO, some want more than others).

- Do the motivation and endorsement first so that you know it's done. Make sure it's detailed and you cover the main points they want - which sport activities will you be using it in, why this specific handgun is suited to those sport activities, why this specific calibre is suited to you and your sport activities. There are some more motivation ideas in one of the threads here if you search "motivation ideas".|
    Make sure your motivation is signed. And if you want to use a company to make it, just know they like rejecting some that look too familiar to others.

- Buy the firearm, preferably from a store with a range so you can practice with it if you want to, but also know that if your license is rejected and you decide not to reapply/appeal and wish to sell the firearm, it will be a second hand firearm and not brand new.

Also, I'm a fan of putting extra copies of certificates at the end of my motivation document that I can refer to as attachments a/b/c/d,etc.
    This way I can have a certified copy of ID, proof of residence, all NHSA certificates, certified copy of SAPS competency and the proficiency certificates for handgun+legal in my application.

And good luck :)

Thank you very much for that detailed reply. I'm going to follow your advise.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gleock View Post
    What sport and division are you planing on shooting?

Honestly, I have not decided on one (or two). My plan is to try as many different sport shooting disciplines as possible, and then make a decision as to which one I will "follow" more intensely. That's the main reason why I want something I can use in many different sports.

So hoping the G17 will comply with most of the rules?

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

I am in a similar situation and asked for advice. It was was a tight contest between a 17 and 19 possibly the 17 having a lead.

watching this with interest.
    live out your imagination , not your history.

User

Really good gun! Go get it now.

User

If it’s a sport gun the 17 is a great option. I like the Gen5 MOS so much I bought two

It will be very competitive depending on set up in IPSC Production and both Production optics divisions. You could also get started in Standard with one.

IDPA it’s a great option for SSP ESP and CO

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast