User

Default Rabbit hunting in Free State area

Im looking to go hunting for Rabbit in the Free State area, has anyone had any experience in this light? where can one go, and when is the best time for it? Is it only within season (may to end August)

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

User

Default Re: Rabbit hunting in Free State area

It seems the Free State has not updated it's Provincial Proclamation since 2014. Both PHASA and SA Hunters still have the 2014 Proclamation available for download on their websites.

Cape and Scrub hares can be hunted from 1 April to 30 September. 3 per day. Red Rock Hares are not open for hunting as far as I can tell.

Hares are widespread and most farms will have populations of hares on them.

August/September might offer slightly better conditions for hunting hares as there will be less ground cover thus less place for them to hide and they may therefore be slightly easier to find.

Scrub and Cape hares live above-ground - they do not live in burrows. During the day they sleep under bushes or grass patches and they come out to feed at night. They can hide in surprising little cover and I have sometimes flushed them in very short grass where you might not expect them to be. I once flushed one in a ploughed field with virtually no cover.

A lot of legwork is required covering likely areas. A shotgun loaded with #5 or #6 shot is adequate.

User

Thanks Dimitri. Heading to a farm in FS at the end of august to shoot birds, but on the lookout for Hares too as I'd love some for the pot.

Jacques26, check your PM inbox.

Banned

Just remember getting a licence. Same licence covers both fur and feathered quarry and costs about R150 per year. I know that SA Hunters have available in Pta.

User

thanks, I have the license/permit