Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Banned

Default Re: survival hunting - hunting to survive

Take your boy, plan ahead and treat yourselves to a few days' bonding time. Give him chores or responsibilities so that he can learn. And take him to an area where a .22 will be enough to provide dinner. On an empty day he will feast on a can of baked beans with bully beef.

User

We had a similar brain fart back in 1992 to go to Inhaca Island of Moz (this was the year the war ended)

Plan was to fly in with backpacks, get to the island with the ferry, hike around the island and live from the ocean, plenty of fish, crayfish, coconut you name it, we thought. All we had was rice, some bread we bought in Maputo and a couple of tins (we where 8 people)

Boy did we get it wrong, biggest issue was water or rather lack of water. Then fishing / spearfishing for actual food is no joke. We managed to get a crab on about day 2, then again one fish on day 4. After living on rice and rain water, we decided to pull the plug and pay a fisherman to take us back to Maputo. This resulted in us been three days early for our flights and no place to stay, final plan was to hitch a taxi to Komatipoort border, this meant passing AK carrying soldiers and burnt-out tanks. It took us almost two day to get home but we made it, my mom and dad resulted in loosing a couple of years from stress, seeing that 4 of their 5 kids was on this trip :-)

It was a memorable experience to say the least.

User

Sounds familiar. Three of us went on a trip to Hole-in-the-wall in 1975 or 1976. Took enough alcohol, spearfishing equipment and fishing tackle. We set up camp within sight of the Hole, fortunately on a high spot and did what students do. The next morning we woke up on an island after a massive rainstorm during the night. The sea was nice and brown with zero visibility, left the water after five minutes realizing our chances of becoming shark food are much greater than getting any crayfish or fish. Fishing turned out just as bad so we were out of food on day three with no way of getting out of there with my Cortina bakkie.

We ended up walking to Koffiebaai along the coast and staying over in the hotel for a night, walking back the next day with some food. After another day or so we were able to to use some of the canvas we had to drive the bakkie over sand to avoid the deeper pools and get out.

That was the last time I ever went on any trip in the bush without bringing food back afterwards.

Banned

Cousin and I went for a camping trip next to Mtunzini lagoon. Youngsters do not think about water. Late at night my thirst was so bad I drank neat Oros - do not wish to repeat that. Next day collected water and we camped all right for a few days.

Another thing sub adults dont think about is dangers in the water. We farted around with tubes on the water and tried to fish. Some young blacks also had lines in the water across the lagoon and one was pulled into the water when something took his handline. Some years later my cousin was visiting the lagoon and the Parks Board were taking pot shots at a crocodile. We also did not think of Zambesi sharks - maybe that was what took the bait of the black fisherman.

Banned

Ah !!!!! so there are other dim witted highly motivated survived there romantic bush survival ordeals. As we speak Cody is plucking a dove, the wife's new cat just killed it. No stress no worries no show - " can I eat it dad? ".
    Guess we will have a fire tonight then !
    Guess I will have to " just taste it Dad, just a little piece, awe come on Dad "
    Can not help shiver at the thought of his marinade - last week end was Duiker liver marinated in Cream Soda, then he reduced the cream soda as a sauce to go with it. " its quiet tasty dad, try some . I think he will do better than most of us in the make do survival department.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Ah !!!!! so there are other dim witted highly motivated survived there romantic bush survival ordeals. As we speak Cody is plucking a dove, the wife's new cat just killed it. No stress no worries no show - " can I eat it dad? ".
    Guess we will have a fire tonight then !
    Guess I will have to " just taste it Dad, just a little piece, awe come on Dad "
    Can not help shiver at the thought of his marinade - last week end was Duiker liver marinated in Cream Soda, then he reduced the cream soda as a sauce to go with it. " its quiet tasty dad, try some . I think he will do better than most of us in the make do survival department.
    Ha ha ha ha.
    Looks like Cody has turned out much more stronger than you

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2