User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Default Expired License and Ammo purchase

Not sure to post in the "Firearm Licensing" part or here? In any case. Have searched for a previous discussion on this but could not find. Sorry if it was dissected previously.

What is now the story behind Ammo purchasing and expired white licenses? My good old dad wanted to buy some .357 Mag ammo last week. His license is expired (was there for renewal in time and then the DFO said het must first redo his competency, which took 6 weeks and by then the 90 days has expired and DFO could not process renewal. Screwed system but that is not for here. We all know....)

So he provided his license, that is expired according the date on it. The gunshop counter assistant made a scene and refused. Apparently he can not sell ammo on an expired license.

True or false?

I would say false. My dad is still in legal possession of said firearm as things currently stand.

User

Default Re: Expired License and Ammo purchase

He will not be able to buy ammo with an expired license.

He may also not carry the firearm, it is now a safe queen.

I guess if he uses it in a legit SD situation the merits of the situation will be looked at at the time, but this is just a guess.

Edit: If he by any chance has a green license for this gun too that changes things.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post
    ... can not sell ammo on an expired license.
    What is there not to understand?

Banned

I used to buy ammo with a certified copy of my green license...but they would not supply me with ammo on my expired license

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Quote Originally Posted by StanCT View Post
    What is there not to understand?
    The firearm in possession of a person who has an expired white license is still in legal possession of said firearm. No person has been declared as in illegal possession because of the administrative failure of re-licensing as the matter currently stands. This means that said owner may also possess ammunition for his legally owned firearm. So why can a person with a legally in possession firearm, as is the current status according to court proceedings, not purchase ammunition for this legal firearm?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post
    The firearm in possession of a person who has an expired white license is still in legal possession of said firearm. No person has been declared as in illegal possession because of the administrative failure of re-licensing as the matter currently stands. This means that said owner may also possess ammunition for his legally owned firearm. So why can a person with a legally in possession firearm, as is the current status according to court proceedings, not purchase ammunition for this legal firearm?
    He is currently in limbo until the courts decide. That firearm is meant to be kept in his safe, as his licence card is not, in fact, valid. The only reason he can keep it in his safe until the courts decide is that there was an interim order against SAPS preventing the confiscation thereof.

And the act requires a licence to be in possession of ammunition.