Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Moly in Barrel

Banned

Default Re: Moly in Barrel

Quote Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
    None of my chemistry texts even allude to MoS2 being hygroscopic at all. Solubility product, like so many sulphides, is almost negligible.
    It is not oil, so provides no atmospheric protection to the barrel. This I think is more of a reason for corrosion.
    So as not to derail this thread I have posted Moly and Acid - myth or fact

User

Default Re: Moly in Barrel

Quote Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
    None of my chemistry texts even allude to MoS2 being hygroscopic at all. Solubility product, like so many sulphides, is almost negligible.
    It is not oil, so provides no atmospheric protection to the barrel. This I think is more of a reason for corrosion.
    You are assuming that the MSO2 used in barrel is 100% pure. It isn't. And who knows what and how many impurities it has. That is the problem.

I have used it a lot and currently still use moly-coated bullets. I remove the moly buld-up with Mr Muscle (formerly Brillo) on a tight patch. It is a soft abrasive and should not harm the barrel steel if used prudently. Other abrasive bore cleaners such as JB bore paste should also get the job done. Solvents are not likely to remove it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2