User

Default Winchester model 1890 .22LR

Hi all

I have a sweet little rimfire project that now needs an optic of sort.
    Pics down below.

To the collectors and FA connoisseur, I know this is a scarce and true model 1890.
    It is a 1919 year of manufacture.
    It was either total death to the gun or another life as a rebuild that lost collectors status and value.

I thought long and hard after the rebuild and waited months deliberating and researching options before I took the rifle to my GS for a custom mount.
    Read through below and you will understand my decision.

An imported upper tang peep sight was the other considered option but product cost as well as import duties and delivery costs were not viable at the time.
    This can happen at another point in time should it come around as the scope mounting bracket can be removed, capping scres installed to the holes and a tang sight simply screwed into place.

A little history on the rifle:
    The rifle was amongst other FA left to me by my late dad, he received if some years back from his lifelong friend's wife when the friend passed untimely at the hands of murderers during KZN conflict in the late 80's.
    His friend in turn had received it from his dad at some time or other.
    Before that I am not sure of the history.

As a young boy I remember numerous farm sheds, rat hunts and this little rusted pump action spewing away and Jack Russel's running amuck chasing the critters.
    Night drives under spotlight found many a rabbit laid to rest.
    Accuracy as I remember was never good at distance and I later found out why when the piece was closely studied and a decision needed to be taken to restore or destroy.

Many years passed, life went along and people drifted apart.

Whilst sorting out my dads estate and arsenal (he had collector status) I came across this neglected little gem that was stuck in the corner since he had received it years back.
    He never fired a shot with it at all since he received it and only kept it for the fond memories he and his friend had spent together as well as the sentimental value it had to him.
    The piece was in a very sad state of affairs after many years of use, abuse and neglect by others during its life.

The rifle was a complete rust bucket with light surface rust as any factory finish retired a long time ago, the stock was broken and held together with gutter bolts and thin steel plates as well as glue from a fall as some point in time, the lower steel tang had another crack needing repair and a weld job repair of the tang needed refinishing, the barrel had a scope mount DIY job gone wrong and a few open holes too deep for comfort, the magazine tube was bent and kinked, the inner tube missing the locking and retainer pin, the rear sight was missing the adjustment blade, rifling was non existent due to corrosion and last but not least the barrel had a crack and bulge an inch and a half from the end where a few rounds had found themselves lodged at the same time at some point and obviously drilled out again.
    Ultimately the barrel was dead.

When looking over the little piece, I was torn between scrapping it and having it brought back to life...
    After much deliberation and working through the heartache after 2 years of fighting Motor Neuron disease with my dad and his eventual passing, my mom and I decided to help the rifle to live another life instead of handing it in to SAPS, removed from responsibility and forgotten about.

It was taken to our Gunsmith (who was a friend of my dad) for assessment, costing and the start of a road to recovery.
    I came across the parts needed from another rifle packed away in between his gear that my dad had found and bought at some point to actually rebuild the "gallery gun".
    The little pump action was dropped off, booked in and forgotten as other pressing items needed attention.
    Unfortunately in the haze of life at that point no photos were taken of what it looked like before it underwent restoration.

When my mom was called to collect months had passed. She had to collect as the FA was still an estate item.
    The little peach looked good and now fully usable.
    Some scars from its history are still evident as a reminder of what it was.

The replacement original Winchester stock had been re-fitted albeit refinished as the original finish had been damaged before.
    The barrel had been bored and a replacement barrel liner installed, screw holes on the barrel filled, the end crack and bulge had been flattened.
    A workable and adjustable rear sight was in place.
    The magazine outer tube was replaced and the inner tube now working correctly.
    All necessary repairs of the lower tang were done and polished smooth.
    A complete re-blueing was done.

I had to drool and dream for months after that point whilst my license was still in play at SAPS.

When I eventually received my licence and could get to the range shortly thereafter, the wait was worth it...
    Stroke for stroke after firing is effortless and gives one that warm fuzzy feeling...
    The smooth quick action allows for a quick repetitive firing allowing all 10 rounds of 22LR to fly downrange at whatever pace the shooter sees fit...

The rifle has been reborn and will bring many years of pleasure again.

The only original downfall of the rifle is the standard little barrel mounted open sight. (only bad if the lookers are not so good anymore)
    It was after a few range sessions, much deep thought and serious google time looking for ideas and conversions in the US that I decided on the scope mount to allow for a more shoot-able and accurate rifle I can use and enjoy.
    The open sights are still useable and visible under the scope bracket.
    The only small trick and adaptation to shooting style is to flick ejected cases with a little clockwise flick to remove as a model 1890 ejects straight up and backwards. (onto the forehead as my son and I discovered and had a good laugh about it)
    Attachment 30725 Attachment 30727

This brings me to the section below for advice I need.

I am looking at possibly fitting a red dot optic options that wont break the bank, budget is seriously tight.

I have temporarily mounted a scope I got from good a friend and did a deal based on the old barter system, I had 30-06 and 270 brass he needed and I needed another scope of sorts for the time being.
    The scope proportions are wrong on the Winchester as it is a bit long for the FA, I must otherwise look a compact version scope.
    I thought of a red dot as they are mostly compact, something that is ok to shoot with at say 25m (maybe the odd 50m shot at larger targets) but will not break the bank to buy.
    This is where I can do with a few suggestions to add onto the info and recommendations I have received from others.

Other retailers have fantastic products if one has a deep pocket, this I know.
    I need something practical and useable, please give me your experience and viewpoints or more options to look at to consider.

The light recoil may allow for some items below?
    I honestly don't know how bad these are, I know not good and far from perfect.
    I'm not sure of their dot size.

I know of a budget Gamo Red Dot AD30 (may be too much of a toy?) that may or may not work. (Gamosa)
    NC star: NC STAR MICRO GREEN DOT SIGHT WITH RED LASER VDGRLB (Blades and triggers)
    UTG: LEAPER UTG 3.8″ RED/GREEN CIRCLE DOT SIGHT QD MOUNT (Blades and triggers)
    Hawke Vantage 1x25 Red Dot Sight - 3 M.O.A (Online at Futurama)
    Hawke Vantage 1x30 Red Dot Sight - 3 M.O.A (Online at Futurama) I am aware Futurama, Technopro and Huntalot are one and the same.
    Barska AC10650 1x 40mm DC, Dual- Col Reticle, Red Dot Sight W Dual-Size MTS (online at Technopro)

Are any others to look at or are these not worth the money at all?
    (if anyone has an accurate and usable red dot scope needing a new home (no worries if cosmetics are scratched) I will welcome it with open arms if the price is fair (or free)
    Attachment 30724 Attachment 30726

Default Re: Winchester model 1890 .22LR

I would have checked with Skinner Sights if they have a peep sight available for it.