Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Moly in Barrel

User

Default Moly in Barrel

Hey guys

Are there any local products that can remove moly from barrel. Currently only using standard nitro solvent but someone mentioned that the moly might form corrosive compounds if left in the barrel

User

Default Re: Moly in Barrel

Quote Originally Posted by koperaal koos View Post
    Hey guys

Are there any local products that can remove moly from barrel. Currently only using standard nitro solvent but someone mentioned that the moly might form corrosive compounds if left in the barrel
    Very little to no chance of this hapenning.

Have you tried Forrest bore Foam. I use nothing but this on my rifle barrels to clean. Spray leave for 10-15min and put cloth through. Removes copper and anything stuck inside.

I know foe lead build up which you wont have, A trick is to take goldi locks. Wrap it around a cleaning rod and push through barrel. It will scrape and clean. But wont damage barrel. As to soft.

Boretech molly magic

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
    Very little to no chance of this hapenning.
    Epi - first time I am going to TRY argue with your knowledge. I am not educated - just make best of my rambling - its about what I know sort of ish. Moly is a hydrophilic - hydroscopic ? Likes water - absorbs water. Moly becomes acidic when it absorbs water. Weapons with Moly build up in storage have been found to have acidic bore corrosion, damage under Moly build up once Moly is removed.
    This acidity caused by moisture is what makes Moly dangerous in the lungs.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    Have you tried Forrest bore Foam. I use nothing but this on my rifle barrels to clean. Spray leave for 10-15min and put cloth through. Removes copper and anything stuck inside.

I know foe lead build up which you wont have, A trick is to take goldi locks. Wrap it around a cleaning rod and push through barrel. It will scrape and clean. But wont damage barrel. As to soft.
    Always remember to add the warning - test your Goldi Loks with a magnet - if its even mildly magnetic to not use,
    Use only Goldi Loks or non magnetic scrubber - folk have been known to use other brands due to cost or availability - they may contain steel - cheaper ones DO !. Steel wool is just that - steel wool.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Epi - first time I am going to TRY argue with your knowledge. I am not educated - just make best of my rambling - its about what I know sort of ish. Moly is a hydrophilic - hydroscopic ? Likes water - absorbs water. Moly becomes acidic when it absorbs water. Weapons with Moly build up in storage have been found to have acidic bore corrosion, damage under Moly build up once Moly is removed.
    This acidity caused by moisture is what makes Moly dangerous in the lungs.
    None of my chemistry texts even allude to MoS2 being hygroscopic at all. Solubility product, like so many sulphides, is almost negligible.
    It is not oil, so provides no atmospheric protection to the barrel. This I think is more of a reason for corrosion.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
    None of my chemistry texts even allude to MoS2 being hygroscopic at all. Solubility product, like so many sulphides, is almost negligible.
    It is not oil, so provides no atmospheric protection to the barrel. This I think is more of a reason for corrosion.
    Thank you

User

Balistol and a bronze brush works well. Frankly most thin oils and a bronze brush works well for most deposits in a barrel.

User

Thanks all, will have a look at the Moly Magic. Think Multech stocks them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast