Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10
    User

Quote Originally Posted by Koebelwagen View Post
    First the 9.3x62 is not enough rifle and now the 375H&H whilst there have been many thousands of successful buffalo hunts with both calibers? All this from a thread that started with a duffed shot from a bow and a less than ideal follow up using at least one rifle not up to the job at hand?

It seems there are far too many perfect hunters on this forum, people who have never wounded an animal. I have yet to meet such a hunter in person and if I do it will likely be someone who hasn't done a lot of hunting in his/ her life.

The fact of the matter is, the correct bow with the correct arrow setup is more than capable of killing a buffalo cleanly and quickly, given correct shot placement. You can also wound a buffalo with a .700NE if your shot placement isn't good enough, youtube has many examples of buffalo taking multiple shots from big bore rifles before going down. Weapons are not magic wands and s#!t happens sometimes that requires a follow up. No one I know purposely goes out to wound an animal and then when it happens, why should it matter what is used during a follow up as long as you can kill the animal as quickly as possible?
    Well said.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post
    I dunno. I'm not sure I'd hunt a buff with a .375 anyway. Pretty marginal for the job, no?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Hi WZ

The 375 is more than adequate for a Buffalo.
    There are many 1 shot kills on Buffalo with a 375, but most end up with a 2nd or 3rd shot as quick as possible due to it being a dangerous animal and Safety.

That being said, if you can shoot a 416 as well as what you can shoot a 375, then bigger is always better
    A roaring Lion kills no game

Banned

Default Re: Buffalo hunt gone wrong

Because so many people do not feel animals have feelings, need respect, its fun to try kill them with a .22 or bow or fkin blow pipe wtf ever. We are dealing with something else' s everything here, its every thing - its life. --------I hunt - I kill, I do not eat commercial torture meat. Its not a game its the life of a living creature - respect it. I have no problem killing my steak, I do have a problem with you putting it in a bull fighting ring. I have no problem with bushman Langball hunting a buck with the bow he has got, he does not use a lessor bow to see if he can. Kill your Texas problem boar as effectively as you can, but its not a thing to try play with using home made cannons just to see if it works ----- they are living entities not forms of entertainment. _____ coming from a hunter, I kill minimum 30/40 animals a year.
    Just some respect folk, thats all.

Quote Originally Posted by MyLani View Post
    Hi WZ

The 375 is more than adequate for a Buffalo.
    There are many 1 shot kills on Buffalo with a 375, but most end up with a 2nd or 3rd shot as quick as possible due to it being a dangerous animal and Safety.

That being said, if you can shoot a 416 as well as what you can shoot a 375, then bigger is always better
    50 BMG only. Preferably belt fed.

A Cape Buffalo is something else in terms of bone and muscle density. I don't actually know all that much about it though. Only what Taylor wrote. While I have hunted, as a rule I don't like killing things. Typical industrial carnivore hypocrisy... The people I admire most are the Treemans of this world. Deep respect, deep love for the animal. Ethical hunting is (arguably) the only truly ethical way of eating meat.

But the world is what it is. I get the allure of bow hunting. Maybe one day I will even try it myself. But if so, it will be on something thin skinned that I plan to eat and for which the bow is more than just adequate.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

Lol
    I bet Henko wished he had a belt fed 50cal
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

Quote Originally Posted by Koebelwagen View Post
    First the 9.3x62 is not enough rifle and now the 375H&H whilst there have been many thousands of successful buffalo hunts with both calibers? All this from a thread that started with a duffed shot from a bow and a less than ideal follow up using at least one rifle not up to the job at hand?

It seems there are far too many perfect hunters on this forum, people who have never wounded an animal. I have yet to meet such a hunter in person and if I do it will likely be someone who hasn't done a lot of hunting in his/ her life.

The fact of the matter is, the correct bow with the correct arrow setup is more than capable of killing a buffalo cleanly and quickly, given correct shot placement. You can also wound a buffalo with a .700NE if your shot placement isn't good enough, youtube has many examples of buffalo taking multiple shots from big bore rifles before going down. Weapons are not magic wands and s#!t happens sometimes that requires a follow up. No one I know purposely goes out to wound an animal and then when it happens, why should it matter what is used during a follow up as long as you can kill the animal as quickly as possible?
    Well said, Koebelwagen

User

I’ve never understood dangerous game hunting, probably never will, the concept just does not make sense. The only reason why anybody would hunt dangerous game is because of the feeling, NOTHING more, and nobody can deny that there simply is no counter debate.

So whiles humans do this dangerous game hunting they do their utmost best not to put anybody in danger, which in reality is the utmost disrespect to the animal. Why bring a dentist or doctor from overseas to have them protected by a PH with a big gun at every turn, does this educated person not understand the reality of the situation, or in what illusion is he living? Surely if he is the big game hunter let him take his rifle and pick him up when he is done, not so, or does he want the cushy comfy dangerous game experience? The one where you shoot the animal, and others put another couple of rounds in it because God knows it’s a dangerous animal and might get up and counter attack.

If a 375 is enough gun then let the hunter use that rifle, and don’t back him up. He is man enough to go shoot a buff, let him take responsibility for his actions after pulling the trigger. Or does he not want it, does he simply want to kill something without really testing himself, wow, what a man.

Why must a man hunting with a bow be protected, why must someone else follow up with a big cal, was the hunter NOT man enough to take a shot at a living breathing animal in the first place, where is his balls now? I fear in this industry money talks and reality walks, we preach one thing but does another, no foot to stand on when defending our actions.

It’s not the fault of greenies or anti’s if they don’t get us, not when “hunters” don’t get themselves.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Because so many people do not feel animals have feelings, need respect, its fun to try kill them with a .22 or bow or fkin blow pipe wtf ever. We are dealing with something else' s everything here, its every thing - its life. --------I hunt - I kill, I do not eat commercial torture meat. Its not a game its the life of a living creature - respect it. I have no problem killing my steak, I do have a problem with you putting it in a bull fighting ring. I have no problem with bushman Langball hunting a buck with the bow he has got, he does not use a lessor bow to see if he can. Kill your Texas problem boar as effectively as you can, but its not a thing to try play with using home made cannons just to see if it works ----- they are living entities not forms of entertainment. _____ coming from a hunter, I kill minimum 30/40 animals a year.
    Just some respect folk, thats all.
    The amount of animals you shoot per year does not determine the level of respect you may/may not have for the animals you kill. You get heartless idiots in all forms of life. Also, the the level of respect you may/may not have for animals is not proportional to the size of the hole at the end of your barrel.

Use equipment that is legal for the purpose and will consistently and reliably effect a clean kill on a given quarry when used within it's limitations. And then stick to the limitations. Then practise until you are skilled enough to place the bullet/arrow/spear/shot on target each time. THOSE are two important ways how you can show respect.

Very few of us here hunt in order to survive. Meat is readily available at the supermarket and butcher down the road. We choose to hunt. And we do it for recreation to a large extent. The least we can do is to do our best to effect a clean kill with our first shot - regardless of what weapon we choose.

Most hunters I have met have respect for the animals they hunt.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post
    But it's interesting how everyone skirts the question: Why hunt with a weapon you're not prepared to follow up with? Because you know it's not really adequate for the job. That's why your PH doesn't follow up with a bow.
    Because the situation changes once the buffalo does not go down with the first shot or arrow. A bow can very well kill a buffalo if the arrow hits the mark. But hitting a moving, angry target with a weapon which is slow to reload and might not stop the buffalo due to ineffective shot placement under pressure is not wise. If we had only bows the discussion would have been about stopping a buffalo with a bow

Banned

If I ever hunt a buff, the only of the big stuff I would like to hunt, as in would like to pit myself against, I would be signing the papers and walking off in some direction to go find some buff. I would hunt my buff and I will survive,least that my opinion. I willcertainly not PAY to have team effort buffalo killing event WTF - I said hunt a buff - hunt as in go find then out wit then kill. I do not have to kill to have hunted, - these modern 8 persons against one animal hunts should be named more honestly - " opportunity to kill a buffalo - R25 000, includes animal being found for you, being lead to animal and a team of expert shooters to remove the dangerous out of the dangerous 5"
    Come kill a buff today - you will love it.
    The whole thing is a sad joke - caliber ?, whats it matter / you got back up and back up up. Hunt a Buff with a bow - why ? what can the reason be, enter look in mind of said hunter after the Buff was killed with .458.
    At home - buffs head on wall Johnny Blue on ice admiring friends, "oooooo - were'nt you scared ? " -----" Naaaa I knew what I was doing !", ---------- "but still you could have got hurt ?" ---- " Yeaaaa ! (suck gut in) - but thats what its all about my girl - the risk the thrill ".
    It a joke - a bad one.
    I know I know - opinions - well there's mine. Very few people hunt buff - they pay to kill one., thats all kill one.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10