Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Vz. 61 Skorpion + PPS-43

I've acquired an example of each to expand my collecting theme. Whilst PPSh-41 / PPS-43 were certainly uncovered in arms caches in Rhodesia (and presumably in Angola / Namibia?), what seems less likely though, is the prevalence of the Vz. 61.

People I've spoken to said that they never saw any in caches and their opinion is that a comparatively well made (expensive) item would have been carried by senior cadres and commanders as a status symbol - if they were even present at all.

Can anyone confirm its presence in either the Rhodesian or South African battle space of the time?

User

Default Re: Vz. 61 Skorpion + PPS-43

We will need pics TS :)

I know a former SAPS member that worked at the Police college in PTA West, will ask if I see him again.

He had access to the Stores/cache of confiscated weapons. They included some weird stuff like Stechkins, VZ52's and oddly enough even a MG34 or MG42, cant remember now.

User

Guts removed as law states that they need to be stored in an inoperable condition.

This one is a Polish manufactured one.

User

Quote Originally Posted by tobie View Post
    ...and oddly enough even a MG34 or MG42, cant remember now.
    Many years ago I remember reading about these sometimes turning up in Rhodesia but more often than not the terrs had either the weapons, the ammunition but seldom both simultaneously. Could be an "urban legend"?

User

Yes, Czechoslovakia and East Germany were major suppliers of arms to liberation organisations. Many obsolete NVA (East German army) arms were gifted to African liberation armed wings. Often they had been hand new downs from the Soviets and other Warsaw pact members.

I'd look at what Cuban's deployed with as well.

User

Also look at what the CPOs of senior MPLA leaders were armed with, these were common place for body guards of the Warsaw pact

User

Slightly off topic, but Jonas Savimbi carried a Ruger .357 (security six?)

So there's a reason to get a nice Ruger as well...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Tango Sierra View Post
    I've acquired an example of each to expand my collecting theme. Whilst PPSh-41 / PPS-43 were certainly uncovered in arms caches in Rhodesia (and presumably in Angola / Namibia?), what seems less likely though, is the prevalence of the Vz. 61.

People I've spoken to said that they never saw any in caches and their opinion is that a comparatively well made (expensive) item would have been carried by senior cadres and commanders as a status symbol - if they were even present at all.

Can anyone confirm its presence in either the Rhodesian or South African battle space of the time?
    Vz.61's were definitely around, I know of some that were here in S.A. Not sure about Rhodesia, SWA or Angola.

User

Someone showed me an old SADF "Ken jou vyand" book, with lists of opposition firearms in it. The VZ61 is mentioned, so I take it that the firearm was used in the struggle

User

Quote Originally Posted by mikecollinge View Post
    Someone showed me an old SADF "Ken jou vyand" book, with lists of opposition firearms in it. The VZ61 is mentioned, so I take it that the firearm was used in the struggle
    Similar to what I was told by vets. They were listed in the "book" as it were but so would a lot of other Communist stuff to "look out for". My question is - were they ever actually uncovered or picked up on the battle field?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast