Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Default SUDDEN SLIP EDC SHOOTING ABILITY

Advice would be appreciated.

I try to shoot my EDC with the ammo I carry at least one a month.
    The last time I went out on my own there was a deterioration in my ability to do what I did in the past effectively and with ease. ( my shooting measured by my own standards and abilities went down the tubes).
    Ammo is good. Gun is clean and serviced. Sights are in the same position and still good.
    I have been working long hours everyday and have not had time away from work for a long time ( fatigue possily?). My eyes and glasses have been checked recently and vision with glasses is good.
    The last range session was at a very relaxed time of the day for me, late after work at a beautiful and comfortable indoor range in Toti. My usual times to visit the range are anytime between mid morning through to mid day when I take a short break from work.
    I had expected shooting to be by my standards excellent and it was not . It was bad!

I used to shoot small tight groups at distances that I measured I averaged out in my home and work environment ( office, car park home/office, home environment).

I cannot understand why this happened. Has anyone experienced this before as well? How do you train out of this "slump" ( am hoping it was an isolated occurrence).

I would appreciate advice as carry a gun for self defense in an environment that is extremely dangerous and volatile. So this worries me a lot.
    Is it a state of mind or physical fatigue?

Please advise and share if anyone experienced the same.

Thank you.
    Last edited by KK20; 05-08-2019 at 07:01.
    live out your imagination , not your history.

Default Re: SUDDEN SLIP EDC SHOOTING ABILITY

Yes. 'State of mind and physical fatigue' go hand in hand. Focus is lost.Exercise and correct sleep are critical. Cardio for breath and mind control. Weight training makes a huge difference to how stable and firm you grip the gun aided by a more solid stance. Proper sleep is critical; I have seen more than a few basically lose it when going long periods of late nights early morning in high stress environments.

User

As a short term solution, take a shooting-knowledgeable friend with you to the range to observe you as you shoot and let him evaluate your technique. Usually the culprit is lost focus on the basics: front sight, front sight, front sight... and the reason is the said fatigue.

As a long term solution: more time at range, not by yourself, but with a shooting buddy. I know that the time you might actually need your slug thrower there'll be no-one helping you, but that's why you should build up your shooting skill up to the point it being all natural routine task, That takes lot of ammo (which contrary to a common belief doesn't have to be your carry ammo) and good shots to build up, but that's the case with any motor ability, like playing a guitar.

User

How much dry fire do you do?

Is once a month all the range time you doing ?

For me personally, when i find my shooting is not up to scratch, its always because of a flinch.
    I load a few dummy rounds in between live rounds and can quickly see if this is the issue.

Banned

Sleep more, check stress levels, enough vitamins etc.

And sometimes, you simply have a bad shooting day. I would only start worrying if it happens again during the next few days or weeks.

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

maybe I fell asleep while shooting ))))
    live out your imagination , not your history.

User

A bad first target can increase stress of "why am I shooting Like this" and ruins a days shooting
    I'm no professional, but the bad days go hand in hand with the good.

Best thing about the bad, you can fix it:)

User

Before you freak out and try reinvent the wheel I'd say go out there again and see if the results are still the same.

Shooting is a mental game and any number of things could put you off but none are as off putting as shooters rust.

I'm no expert but I've recently gone through something similar, where reasonably achievable targets are now seemingly impossible to get or you feel like you have to be almost in slow motion to get them.

Sent from my POT-LX1AF using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by GAZZAMCK View Post
    A bad first target can increase stress of "why am I shooting Like this" and ruins a days shooting
    I'm no professional, but the bad days go hand in hand with the good.

Best thing about the bad, you can fix it:)
    Some of my best sessions has started on a bad note. Use it to focus and identify the problem. It is a good thing if you get to find a marginal problem that properly presents itself. Once you can identify a problem you can fix it.

You have heard it before but here it is again, DRY FIRE.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast