User

Default Rossi lever action red dot mount

I fiddled with some aluminium to fix a red dot scope on a .357 rossi lever action. I used the existing rear sight's dovetail cut to fit a new dovetail with a tapped hole. A foundation was fixed to the barrel and the dovetail, to address barrel contouring. The red dot was then screwed onto a fixture that sits over the foundation, screwing into the dovetail and a(nother) tapped hole in the barrel. A friend helped with the holes into the barrel.
    I find that the lower the red dot sits onto the barrel, the better. Currently sighted in on 50 meters, and it is a real pleasure to shoot. Working my way to harvest a vlakvark or rooibok in due course. Load development with 15gr S265 under 158gr pmp semi jacketed flat point around 1400m/s . Seems to hit hard, expand well, and shoot useably flat up to 75 meters.

r1.jpgr2.jpgr3.jpgr5.jpg

User

Default Re: Rossi lever action red dot mount

Hornady makes a .357 XTP round that sent a 158gr XTP from the barrel of my rifle at just over 1,700FPS. Took plenty of warthog and impala with a 4x scope.

AJR. Brilliant thinking there. You get Alu Blue from Birchwood Casey. If you wipe it on the Alu it will turn black. Or just dump the alu in Pool acid for a second or so. Remove and spray quickly. Alu gets an oxidize(think is word) over it quickly which makes paint grip to it difficult.

So quick in acid to remove this. Dry and spray. Or have it powder coated.

But looks great.

Still a sin to put a scope on a Lever Action. But if you have to thats a good way.

User

I'm curious Toxxyc: what kind of penetration does the XTP offer? Is there a grenade effect?

User

Shooty, it certainly feels sacrilegious to mix the 21st with the 19th century, but the benefit in target acquisition is substantial. And fun! I've considered the blackening of the mount, but at this stage enjoy the two tone look. Thanks for the pool acid tip, though - in due course I'll go that route.

Ive got a Marlin Lever Action in 44m. Ive put on a pair of Skinner Peep Sights on mine. Also greatly assist with fast aiming. But a red dot will even assist more.

User

Quote Originally Posted by AJR View Post
    I'm curious Toxxyc: what kind of penetration does the XTP offer? Is there a grenade effect?
    Not really, no. In all the impalas it hunted, the shots were well placed and went all the way through. Meat damage is minimal, but the wound channel something to behold. On the warthog I never really paid attention. I know one was a headshot and the bullet exited at the side of the head and entered again on the shoulder, or something like that. Breakup was no more than I would say you'd get from something like a PMP softnose.

User

When your eyes become older than 40 years, then you need all the help you can get. A RDS is just the thing for a short-range rifle or carbine.

I would just make the whole mount and base from steel and much thicker. Rifles tend to absorb a knock or 2 occasionally and you want to the RDS to survive that without a zero shift. Seriously over-engineered is just right for this application.

User

A-R I considered steel, but rationalized that it is substantially cheaper to rebuild the mount than replace the RDS, and in effect the lack of tensile strength in the aluminium is a safety valve protecting it. The three point anchor to the barrel is strong, but - because not a single base anchored three time - relatively potentially absorbent / flexible under stress, whilst aligning to the shape of the covering mount. The recesses in which the RDS's mounting screws sets into the foundation, assists to block / delay any attempt of movement of the RDS, acting like 4 recoil lugs. Of course only until there is too much impact, hopefully affecting the aluminium, not the scope or anchoring taps.