User

Default EDC when it is really cold.

In summer I carry a Glock 43 in a tuckable IWB holster under a shirt. In winter the same setup but with the Glock outside of the shirt or, occasionally, a S & W mod 19 in an OWB holster. While concealment is not a problem in winter, actually getting to the gun is. Normally there are three layers of sweater and jacket covering the gun. I work outside, often from before sunrise, and it get really cold here, the coldest we have measured was -14°C and -1 to -5°C is common during early mornings.

I have been thinking of getting a pocket holster for the Glock and carrying it in the side pocket of the outer jacket or getting a shoulder holster for the revolver and carrying it over most layers but under the outer layer which can be worn partly zipped open.

Any other ideas?

User

Default Re: EDC when it is really cold.

I have never had an issue getting through a few layers of clothes to draw from IWB. I simply grab with the offhand and pull up. I can do it strong hand only pretty easily too.

What is the problem exactly, do your clothes snag on something? Perhaps you need to work your technique ?

User

I don't think you understand the type of clothing he is talking about, it's tough jackets for a demanding environment, they are hard to just pull up for easy access to the firearm, I know this, been there many times, especially when the jacket is zipped up, it's not just for pulling up with the other hand quickly.

User

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo16 View Post
    I have never had an issue getting through a few layers of clothes to draw from IWB. I simply grab with the offhand and pull up. I can do it strong hand only pretty easily too.

What is the problem exactly, do your clothes snag on something? Perhaps you need to work your technique ?
    I wear a sweater, a hunting jacket and a parka over the gun, all three are long, down below hip level, both jackets are made from stiff material and zipped up from below crotch level, it is physically impossible to clear the gun with strong hand only (for me anyway) and very difficult with two hands. Add to this that I will at times be wearing gloves and it become impossible to do quickly.

User

If the parka has large pockets in front I would attach something like a pocket holster or a trigger guard holster on the inside of one of the front pockets and carry a subcompact or maybe a G19ish size gun in there?

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Pocket holster and your G43 and there you go. With layer of clothing and longish and heavy jackets for extreme cold that is closed by the zip in front and sometimes also pulled in at the bottom with the string they have in the lower seam a lot of times, drawing does become a ridiculous process. Your concern is a true problem.

I had a jacket once with the side hand pockets and just above them and a bit to the front, almost at breast level there was 2 pockets closed of with velcro. My Glock 19 fitted perfectly in the left side one to be crossed drawn with my right (strong) hand in almost the same way as with shoulder holsters.

User

My wife sewed a thick,padded 'pocket' to the inside breast position of 2 of my hunting jackets.
    In winter,in the veld,this is where i carry my P07.
    These carry the pistol securely and comfortably.