Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default the 7mm -08, yesterdays 6.5 Creedmore ?

Hi guys, just paid for a 7-08 for Cody, been googling for 2 days now and searched this site as well for info. As much as I have read as much have I found questions.
    I have posted in the hunting sect because I will research and learn about the long distance matters by internet research charts and tables etc, the same can not be done for hunting.
    I see the 140 gr "abouts" bullet seems to be bullet the 7-08 was developed for, I previously thought before looking into it, it would be a 160ish kinda bullet rifle ( something I read or heard somewhere sometime).
    Those of you that have one,have used one for hunting, what was your opinion of the caliber, how big a animal would you go and how far would you take that animal comfortably.
    How far out do think it is a effective kudu size rifle if you think it is one.
    What do you think is the best bullet weight, as a one bullet for everything weight ( I will as always find one weight and stay with it).
    To all purposes it seems to be a very very efficient capable economical rifle - on paper and by most right ups reviews.
    One of my people answered my questions today by saying " ya know Dave, its basically the 6.5 Creedmore flavor of today a few years back", hence my heading.
    My research tells me its one bit 7x57, another bit 260,a lot of 308,with 270 pretenses, depending on bullet weight choice.

User

Default Re: the 7mm -08, yesterdays 6.5 Creedmore ?

I'm green with envy. I've had a 7-08 on my wishlist for years.

User

I'll be honest, it's a bit different from the normal 308, and with the great BC's and bullets available for 7mm I think you've made a fine choice. Enjoy!

User

Treeman..6.5 Creed is the modern version of the old 6.5x55.
    7mm08 is the modern version of the old 7x57.
    The 2 older cartridges are are ballistically pretty similar to the new designs.
    The 2 new cartridges have a whole series of advantages over the old if you go by the marketing chap's preachings.
    No animal will tell the difference between new and old.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Hi guys, just paid for a 7-08 for Cody...
    My research tells me its one bit 7x57, another bit 260,a lot of 308,with 270 pretenses, depending on bullet weight choice.
    The 7-08 is a mighty fine cartridge by any standards. It is ballistically very similar to the old 7x57, but does the job from a shorter cartridge and action, and with more pressure in the chamber. It should be very usefull.

Bullet choice is not just a matter of weight. First, you need to chose a bullet type. Bullet construction is always more important than weight. And barrel twist rate tends to limit your choice. The reputation of the 7x57 was mostly built on 175gn bullets traveling at moderate speeds. The usually slightly slower twist rate of the 7-08 would tend to dictate lighter bullets at higher velocities. For normal hunting at typical EC shooting distances I would stick to the heaviest premium bullet the rifle will shoot accurately.

Treeman I Have a 7mm-08 AI build with a 26” barrel , currently shooting 168gr JLK bullets at 2730fps.
    On paper there is not a huge difference between the 6.5CM and the 7mm-08.

A few weeks ago my shooting partner brought his 6.5CM to my range and we shot a few gongs at long range.
    On the shorter ranges up to 800m you could not see a huge difference but it was quite noticeable how the 7mm bullets hits the gong harder at longer ranges up to 1200m.

I have shot a few kudu sized animals between 300-400m with my 6.5x47 (140gr @ 2750vps) and will definitely take them on with the 7mm.
    Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

What gun did you buy, and what barrel profile, length and twist rate?

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post

Bullet construction is always more important than weight. And barrel twist rate tends to limit your choice.
    Start with this.

User

Treeman,i grew up hunting with a 7x57 and an '06.
    As you know,i built up a 7mm 08 for my late son a few years ago.He used 150gr Nosler Partitions on all EC plains game including Kudu,Blues and Eland cows.
    I hate comparisons but the 7mm 08,7x57 and 308 are all very capable and will not let you down.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LoopSoosStroop View Post
    What gun did you buy, and what barrel profile, length and twist rate?
    22 inch Douglas Air Gauged light barrel mated to a k98 action.The action has been trued I am told. Owner bought a Creedmore.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast