Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: the 7mm -08, yesterdays 6.5 Creedmore ?

[QUOTE=A-R;1326452]
    Bullet choice is not just a matter of weight. First, you need to chose a bullet type. Bullet construction is always more important than weight.
    This I know Ar, the weight question was purely in regard to trajectory (derived from velocity). Bullet choice will be governed by construction and construction needed will be determined by velocity it will be used at. Velocity will be greatly influenced by what weight I will settle on. I thought the 140gr was a bit light for 7 mm thats why I asked.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    Treeman,i grew up hunting with a 7x57 and an '06.
    As you know,i built up a 7mm 08 for my late son a few years ago.He used 150gr Nosler Partitions on all EC plains game including Kudu,Blues and Eland cows.
    I hate comparisons but the 7mm 08,7x57 and 308 are all very capable and will not let you down.
    Yes 150gr bullets "SOUND" better than 139 - 140 gr, not a scientific thing, but just a bit more in line with my thinking, be it misinformed or not.
    I also thought, the Nosler Partition would be a bit hard, again just a thought derived from readings, hence the post to hear from real peoples.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Yes 150gr bullets "SOUND" better than 139 - 140 gr, not a scientific thing, but just a bit more in line with my thinking, be it misinformed or not.
    I also thought, the Nosler Partition would be a bit hard, again just a thought derived from readings, hence the post to hear from real peoples.
    Partitions are soft in front and hard behind. They expand easily, often even losing the front core, but the rear part of the bullet ensure good penetration. Never seen one fail. I have used a lot of them in 160gr from a 7x57. Never had a problem.

User

Hi Treeman

Congrats on your purchase, I am in the same boat as I was lucky to find a used one at DS in Pretoria 3 moths ago, it was going for a good price with mounts and a 3-9x40 Lynx scope, so it became a birthday present. I am currently awaiting licence approval.
    The model I got was a Remington BDL DM, and when researching the Remington website they kindly supplied me with barrel twist, date of manufacture (ACCORDING TO SERIAL NUMBER) and preferred bullet weight according to barrel twist, which is as you stated 140gr. On purchase I used DS indoor range and bought a box of Hornady ELDX 160gr. The accuracy at 100m with that weight was not great but certainly would work for hunting purposes.

Like you I cant wait.
    I will keep in touch

Banned

I chose to use Norma 203B propellant and calculated node speeds with 140 and 150gr Nosler Partition.

140 - highest safe node 2760fps
    150 - 2730fps Pressure calculates at 58K psi

You gain 6% on momentum with the 150gr and the BC will also be better. The 150 TSX in my 7x64 runs at 2860fps and is a mean penetrator. I would suggest a 150gr for this 7-08.

User

You overthink treeman.

You start with saying you bought it for your son, and then wonder what type of bullets to load for it.
    Load bullets for your SON.

So what is closest to what he is used to in his 223, meaning trajectory, and what will have minimal recoil, and what will take down any normal game?
    Load it with 120gr TTSX at approx 3000ft/s, that will mimic the combo he is already used to, but can take anything up to kudu.
    Then you can work up a nice cheap range round to practice with afterwards.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    You overthink treeman.

You start with saying you bought it for your son, and then wonder what type of bullets to load for it.
    Load bullets for your SON.

So what is closest to what he is used to in his 223, meaning trajectory, and what will have minimal recoil, and what will take down any normal game?
    Load it with 120gr TTSX at approx 3000ft/s, that will mimic the combo he is already used to, but can take anything up to kudu.
    Then you can work up a nice cheap range round to practice with afterwards.
    I second that... my go to bullet!

Worth the read

https://loaddata.com/Article/LoadDev...-Remington/491

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Againstthegrains View Post
    I second that... my go to bullet!
    You using the 120 gr TTSX as your chosen bullet for the 7-08 ?
    - Again my preconceptions seem to be wrong , I thought this was a medium velocity low meat damage rifle ?.
    Every rifle I buy Cody has a secondary use for my self, I use the 223 for Springbuck and the 303 for Ruff Bush Pig work. The secondary use for the 7-08 was semi culling type shooting Blesbuck and Impala size animals. The flat shooting 2800 fps at barrel sounded good for meat damage 150 down range. The 270 is 3100 at barrel and does too much meat damage for non personal use animals.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    You using the 120 gr TTSX as your chosen bullet for the 7-08 ?
    - Again my preconceptions seem to be wrong , I thought this was a medium velocity low meat damage rifle ?.
    Every rifle I buy Cody has a secondary use for my self, I use the 223 for Springbuck and the 303 for Ruff Bush Pig work. The secondary use for the 7-08 was semi culling type shooting Blesbuck and Impala size animals. The flat shooting 2800 fps at barrel sounded good for meat damage 150 down range. The 270 is 3100 at barrel and does too much meat damage for non personal use animals.
    I run the Barnes 120g TTSX out of a 7x64 at about 2850 - 2900ft/sec. I don't load to the max and my barrel is 20 inch, so my velocities are probably about the same as 7-08. Don't underestimate this bullet at this speed. It will pass through just about everything. I have successfully taken BWB, female eland, kudu, gemsbok etc no problems. At that speed with that bullet, you will notice the meat damage if you shoot under 100m. This is not meat damage as in meat destroyed by lead and jacket fragments, but rather the shock tends to pull blood into the fascia in the layers between the ribs over a wider area. I work the carcasses for a few friends when we hunt springbok, and our shooting distances are similar. I would far rather work meat shot with my combo that the 270s that shoot 150 PMP pro-am.

The peregrine 120 or 130's are also worth a try. they are on special at the moment.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast