Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: the 7mm -08, yesterdays 6.5 Creedmore ?

Remember now, the default twist of the 7mm-08 is 9.25, rifles like Tikka are 9.5, neither will fully stabilize a 150gr TTSX for example at coast where you live.
    That is why the norm is 140gr, and if you want to shoot a 140gr cup and core then you might as well shoot a 120gr mono, which does the same thing.
    It will get harder and harder to get quality bullets imported into SA, and now the rand is at 15 against the dollar again, and will only get worse.
    If you shoot mono's at least you can order locally if you have to, like peregrine and kriek.

Banned

Thank you for that interesting input, strangely enough this week end I noticed what you described for meat damage ( blood into the fascia in the layers between the ribs). I also noticed that its easier to remove. Interesting input.
    Above noted, I was hoping to be able to use Game Kings or Hornady I/Loks in the beginning year or two simply because of cost, I try allow as much shooting as possible, hopefully with the bullet he hunts - I will not be able to allow 10 shots a day with the TTSX or Perrigrines. I will perhaps have to load suggested and see what I can do to replicate it out 150 with cheaper stuff. Now I know you have given your advice on bullet, but what do you think would be the negatives if I were to shoot say a 158 gr Hornady soft point - Messor mentioned 223 attributes, but the boys first love is my 270, which is his "you can use - treat" if he pleases me at school or such. With the above in mind can I go that wrong with a conventional 158 - or 140 gr bullet ?. He has been tasked with Dassie and monkey control at the farm near the houses, ( problem shooting - not just something to kill) - which suites me fine, but not at 20 bucks a shot kinda thing.
    ----------------bit more left and right input please.

Banned

Messor - your post # 21 arrived was read after my #22, was sent. Thanks.

I have used the 139gr Hornady Interlock, flat base bullets, in the 7x57 (±2700fps) on game up to blue wildebeest and one young eland. Never had any problems BUT on game larger than red hartebeest I made very sure that animals were broadside or quartering away. Keep in mind that most of the animals were hunted in open country so shots were generally taken at 200m+.

If your son is going to be shooting game up to blesbuck size, this bullet (or something similar) would work well and would afford cheaper practice. On larger antelope, and especially with a beginner hunter, I would look at a monolithic in the 120 - 130gr range, as suggested by Messor and Againstthegrains.

Banned

I will take this to heart and do the mono thing for now till I know this weapon and caliber.
    I will load the 139 gr for our normal life style and the monos for the official hunts of larger game incl Blesbuck and up.I will try find a load that is pretty similar out to 150m.
    I am assuming the 139 gr is ample for any W/hog ( please confirm), which is about the only thing we hunt out of planned meat hunts for Kudu Impala Fallow etc
    I have a plan now - thank You. I have some thing to do till licence arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    I am assuming the 139 gr is ample for any W/hog ( please confirm), which is about the only thing we hunt out of planned meat hunts for Kudu Impala Fallow etc
    I killed 76 warthog with this bullet with no problems. So yes, confirmed.

Banned

Thanks guys - got what I need.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by driepootx View Post
    I chose to use Norma 203B propellant and calculated node speeds with 140 and 150gr Nosler Partition.

140 - highest safe node 2760fps
    150 - 2730fps Pressure calculates at 58K psi

You gain 6% on momentum with the 150gr and the BC will also be better. The 150 TSX in my 7x64 runs at 2860fps and is a mean penetrator. I would suggest a 150gr for this 7-08.
    I will look into barrel twist when weapon arrives and apply this post, interesting suggestion when laid beside Messors and TStone 120 gr same bullet - TSX /TTSX

Banned

note Creedmore -
    note 120 gr-
    https://loaddata.com/Article/LoadDev...-Remington/491
    thanks Hein

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    I will look into barrel twist when weapon arrives and apply this post, interesting suggestion when laid beside Messors and TStone 120 gr same bullet - TSX /TTSX
    If you compare bullets, the size and bearing surface of a 120g TTSX is about the same as 150g cup and core bullet, so they should stabilize equally.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast