Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Steven001 View Post
    Thanks for the advise guys, so this does work but quite harshly?Would it be better to get the spyderco sharpmaker to keep my edc knives and kitchen knives sharp? Because of the longer blade life and less chances of messing up a blade?
    This depends on factors like your inclination towards knives, time at hand, handiness etc. To me, sharpening knives is almost therapy. It is a pleasure to sit down somewhere close to my wife while the kids play around, and painstakingly sharpen each knife on a Japanese wetstone until it removes arm hair.Reality dictates that I get home at 21:00, tired and tense from the day's work. Sometimes, a dull knife does wonders to calm the rev counter. However, since this takes considerable time, faster options are necessary at times. Working knives get no special treatment: I touch them up with sanding paper on a piece of soft leather. Note: this technique cannot be used with wetstones because it causes a rounded edge.

User

Default Re: Sharpening with an electric knife sharpener

From what I hear and read those electric sharpeners work really well.

Personally am never in a hurry to get a knife sharp, am with Ds J on that, it is something I sit and do some evenings and I find it very relaxing.

There is a Warthog sharpener in the kitchen for the general kitchen knives, great to quickly touch up an edge before using a knife.

The rest of my knives, the quality kitchen knives, utility knives and hunting knives I sharpen either using a Lansky I have had for many years, or wet stones which belonged to my father (a skill he taught me over many years as a young boy), finishing with a strop I made.

When I go hunting and I feel I will need to sharpen knives somewhere during the hunt, I take extra knives although I do have some ceramic thingimbob to touch up in the field if need be as well as a small wet stone.

On my 'from dad to dad' gift list is a KME sharpening system, soon.

I have the Work Sharp (belt sharpener) and the Spyderco Sharpmaker.

Work Sharp for kitchen and knives I don’t care too much for.

Sharpmaker for my EDC’s and more expensive knives.

It is in my inexperienced view more difficult to make a mistake with the Sharpmaker.

I’ve just acquired a strop which I intend testing soon.

The first thing that I do whenever picking up any knife, whether mine or someone else’s, is to test the edge. If it is yours and has a dull edge I will tell you ...

PS- my kids know when I’m sharpening knives it is time to leave dad alone because he has some stress issues to get rid of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BandK View Post
    I’ve just acquired a strop which I intend testing soon.The first thing that I do whenever picking up any knife, whether mine or someone else’s, is to test the edge. If it is yours and has a dull edge I will tell you ...PS- my kids know when I’m sharpening knives it is time to leave dad alone because he has some stress issues to get rid of.
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't use your strop in the regular back-and-forth, curved motion like in the movies. It only rounds the cutting edge. Put down the strop on a hard, straight object and push the blade backwards over the leather. Ten times on one side, then ten times on the other side, nine times, eight times etc. Remember to oilt and rub the strop from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't use your strop in the regular back-and-forth, curved motion like in the movies. It only rounds the cutting edge. Put down the strop on a hard, straight object and push the blade backwards over the leather. Ten times on one side, then ten times on the other side, nine times, eight times etc. Remember to oilt and rub the strop from time to time.
    Also took me a while to learn how the strop works.

I now have half the strop covered in green metal polishing compound, makes a world of a difference.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

Sharpmaker for the win. But then I only sharpen to a functional edge, not to see my own reflection in...

User

I own a Lansky, Spyderco Sharpmaker and a Work Sharp electric sharpener. I can only echo what has already been said. I use the Lansky to reprofile (change sharpening angle) of a edge, should it be necessary. The Spyderco Sharp maker is used for maintaining my knives and 'touching them up', a task at which it excells in my opinion. The Work Sharp electric sharpener is used on kitchen knives, bait knives and other less expensive knives. I've used a Lansky for the last 16 years, having been taught how to use it by my father originally, but since I bought a Spydeco Sharp Maker, the Lansky has been very seldomly used. If your blade is already on the correct edge, touching it up on the Sharpmaker is a quick and easy excercise.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3