Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: happiness is !!!! ------ 303 SMLE

And hoping and praying that Treeman has stumbled on the magic formula for my "can't group for sh-t" SMLE.
    1. fireform cases
    2. necksize only
    3. use heavy roundnose bullets.

Will give it a try.

User

The last step in getting my .303 to group, in addition to the above, was a factory crimp die. Strangely my rifle groups better with 150gr bullets than 174's.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MrK View Post
    The last step in getting my .303 to group, in addition to the above, was a factory crimp die. Strangely my rifle groups better with 150gr bullets than 174's.
    The 303 action is quite flexible. You will find that it shoots heavier bullets to a higher POI than the lighter bullets. This is due to the upward movement of the barrel. The longer the bullet stays in the barrel the higher it comes out. This might be where your barrel could touch the stock and cause a deflection. The more movement with the 174 grain bullet might be causing that, whereas the 150gr does not give enough flip. Just something that might help in using heavier bullets.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by driepootx View Post
    The 303 action is quite flexible. You will find that it shoots heavier bullets to a higher POI than the lighter bullets. This is due to the upward movement of the barrel. The longer the bullet stays in the barrel the higher it comes out. This might be where your barrel could touch the stock and cause a deflection. The more movement with the 174 grain bullet might be causing that, whereas the 150gr does not give enough flip. Just something that might help in using heavier bullets.
    Ya - you have taught me a good few tricks like this one when battling with a rifle I proved this touching theory with a .270 Musgrave that had a sling bolt through stock and touching. It shot ok with 120/130 gr bullets, but horrible with 150 gr. I took sling screw out and it shot any grain bullets fine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2