Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Default Re: Carry Folders again

Been away and have just picked up this thread.

Endura IV is about the same size as the Para-Military, but cheaper. The PM is smaller than the Military. I have a IV with FRG scales in foliage green, part serrated and with stainless scales, plan. I carry the FRG more as it's lighter than the stainless handled one and the grip's better.

Take a look at the Spyderco Pacific Salt which is basically an Endura IV with an H1 rustproof blade, now available in stealth black, if you operate on or near salt water.

For regular carry I prefer my Benchmade Axis 720 which is 10 years old and still going strong. I find the Axis lock to be the non-Auto I can deploy fastest (personal choice).

On mil-spec knives I collected an MOD Dieter CQD but it's too big and heavy for a pocket, and the wingwalk non-slip inserts in the scales shred your pockets. Built like a tank though.

User

I hope this is relevant to the topic. I thought I'd post a link here for an excellent article on how to modify Spyderco type blade holes to the Emerson Wave. this allows for REALLY FAST automatic opening of the blade as it is drawn from the pocket, eliminating the need for fine motor skill manipulation under stress (major fail point)

http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/speedkngoshin.htm this is the first part on the basic mod.

http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/speedknifetwo.htm this is a further mod that draws and opens the knife into Pikal grip (reverse grip edge in- great for ECQ)

actually the whole 'public' section of the alpharubicon site is excellent reading. I love their motto- "facta non verba" which is pseudolatin meaning facts not words. Test it, don't talk about it!

User

Thanks for these articles prepare2win ... ;D

Another alternative ... (A little more expensive though) is to look at buying the Spyderco P'kal. AWESOME blade and very fast deployment to the Pikal grip:

“Practice Peace, Train Chaos!”

Banned

After SwatG's GFF course in CT and chatting to Geoff (AMOK! trainer) and other AMOK! students I'm starting to rely more on my folder as a back-up for my fixed blade, which is in turn a back-up for my gun (and carry as such). I still always carry a folder but I have realized the flaws it has and the reasons why a fixed-blade is far superior. Do SwatG's GFF course, role around in the muck a bit and you'll see what I mean.

User

Hi deonh,
    On the subject of AMOK! ... I had the great experience of attending the annual AMOK! MDW camp this past weekend. If anyone ever wants to 'sharpen up' not only on their knife skills but on the full spectrum of functional combatives, do yourself a favor and attend the workshops that they offer from time to time. Awesome to say the very least!

I wholeheartedly agree with what you have said - Just makes good sense in terms of the folder being used in more of a backup type role ...
    There is nothing better than rolling around in the muck during SWATG's course/s ;D

BE Safe

Kind regards,
    Robert
    “Practice Peace, Train Chaos!”

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4