User

Default Can Airsoft Translate to Real Firearms Skill

User

Default Re: Can Airsoft Translate to Real Firearms Skill

Like any other sport, it's about muscle memory. The more you perform an action, the better you'll be able to perform that particular action. That's why we dry-fire. Recoil on a real firearm is obviously different than an airsoft gun, but grip and target acquisition are areas that gets improved.

User

Yes and no. Some "real gun" skills can be practised very well with lesser toys, if you have your technique right in the first place. The problem comes when you want to transfer "skills" or rather bad habits learned with these gun-shaped toys to real guns, that are not really suitable to real guns. Things like grip and recoil control. Not to mention safety...

If you go the airsoft route. GEt the GBB models. Will give you little recoil.

I played airsoft in 2009 to 2012 when it started out and was small.

Picked it up now again.

Bought a CZ P09 GBB which gives you a little recoil. Ive got my Daughter netballs and soccer balls on grass at 10 to 15m. And take them on with speed. To me its better then just dry fire. Dryfire will show you flinch though. But I can shoot in backyard with them, Without bothering neighbors. Have WE PDW open bolt GBB rifle. And a CAA M4CQB. The CAA is same guys who make Roni. They built this M4 full steel version spot on. Got weight and real feel over normal Airsoft rifles.

Went playing last weekend after 9 years. And then you realize again way different when the target thinks reacts and shoots back at you. And is not just a steel plate or paper target.

User

I have been thinking about this for a while and while I am waiting for my handgun licence I got some practice and instructions at a range I decided that I wanted to get some muscle memomory on drawing and reholstering.

So I made a AIWB holster for an ancient airsoft pistol that had been gathering dust in a drawer and each evening as I get home I put it in position and during the course of the evening I will practice drawing and reholstering while concentrating on the basics I got from the instructions.

I do feel that it has helped me in in keeping my trigger finger clear and cleanly reholstering, and helped me to make sure I am concealing well as the wife will point it out if she notice it. As for firing etc, i dont know as I dont have enough experience with handguns to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post

Picked it up now again.

Bought a CZ P09 GBB which gives you a little recoil. Ive got my Daughter netballs and soccer balls on grass at 10 to 15m. And take them on with speed. To me its better then just dry fire. Dryfire will show you flinch though. But I can shoot in backyard with them, Without bothering neighbors. Have WE PDW open bolt GBB rifle. And a CAA M4CQB. The CAA is same guys who make Roni. They built this M4 full steel version spot on. Got weight and real feel over normal Airsoft rifles.

Went playing last weekend after 9 years. And then you realize again way different when the target thinks reacts and shoots back at you. And is not just a steel plate or paper target.
    Airsoft will never replace dry fire.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

I think one thing that we might be missing is context...

The subject of the video is a dude that put a lot hard work and discipline into studying videos of "real gun operators / sport shooters. As a result he arrived with good finger and muzzle discipline and he pretty much knew how to operate a real gun even though he had never experienced recoil / blast etc. in real life. Almost like a pilot that spent years flying simulators.

But pick a random dude that does airsoft or paintball (even worse) for fun without the investment and effort this guy put in and stuff a real gun in his hands...

That video will be titled "How Airsoft / Paintball can translate in a real fuck-up real quick"

User

Quote Originally Posted by M43 View Post
    I think one thing that we might be missing is context...

The subject of the video is a dude that put a lot hard work and discipline into studying videos of "real gun operators / sport shooters. As a result he arrived with good finger and muzzle discipline and he pretty much knew how to operate a real gun even though he had never experienced recoil / blast etc. in real life. Almost like a pilot that spent years flying simulators.

But pick a random dude that does airsoft or paintball (even worse) for fun without the investment and effort this guy put in and stuff a real gun in his hands...

That video will be titled "How Airsoft / Paintball can translate in a real fuck-up real quick"
    That is what I got from the video. The point not being can Airsoft practice replace dry fire or proper training but that purposely practicing proper techniques with a dry firearm at home can pay greater dividends than occasional trips to the range to practice live fire.

If firearm owners realised the actual power of "Practice makes permanent, perfect practice makes perfect permanent" and diligently applied it with dedication, as demonstrated by the subject of the video, then they (I) would be performing at a significantly higher standard.

User

I think airsoft can be a intellectual exercise and a training aid if you use it correctly. Go watch "warrior poet" on youtube and his training videos where he uses airsoft guns in his training courses to simulate different types of scenarios. Airsoft should just not become your main source of training.

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post

Picked it up now again.

It would be illegal to shoot your airsoft gun in your backyard in town.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.