Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: .270 rifle

User

Default .270 rifle

Hi Members,

I am considering buying a pre-loved .270 rifle with a wooden stock in a very good condition. Any ideas or recomnendations or even someone selling. I am in Gauteng, would prefer to buy in Gauteng. I want to use the rifle for hunting.

Banned

Default Re: .270 rifle

ahhhh! - a intellectual informed fellow who has obviously done his home work. A gentleman indeed - no man bun or magnum influence I gather ?. If your target animal was Eland I would say think again - if it were Duiker - think again. If your target includes both but mostly in between - read below
    Ok - lovely caliber can do almost anything, do not know of seller but know you on right track.
    Really a good choice of weapon - do not be in a rush, wait it out.
    one warning - you seem close or in bushvelt , are you sure you are not a bushvelt buyer ?

User

Thank you Treeman, I am not in a rush, I will wait.

User

Perhaps give some indication on your price range and preferences.
    A good shooter is often not easy to part with.
    The 270 can be a fickle fellow but once you have the hang of it you'll find out it is one of the classics for a reason.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Banned

Start calling gun shops. They might have a good used one. There is a Ruger M77 for sale on Jaracal.

Banned

Ruger All Weather S/Steel is what I have, shot 5 mm out barrel already. If I had to start again I would buy every weapon in stainless steel, I would go so far as to tell Mthembeni to make sure thats what he gets, with a synthetic stock. Those misty days days - rain, those sweaty hands etc etc all become of no concern.
    I mentioned bush velt cause of being up North - the .270 is really much too fast for the bush velt I have seen, but never hunted.
    Still wish to try 160 gr bullets in a .270, must surely start mimicking the 7 x 57 by that weight bullet use ?.

Only thing wrong in my mind is the .270 is a 38special short. Should be a 308, lol

User

Hi Treeman, with the new powders which is available one can run 140 gr's a bit slower, at just above 2800 fps with i.e. N160 and if using monos in a 130 gr it shouldn't be much of an issue in the bush, with very little meat damage in my experience. With 140 gr Partitions one can also get a bit adventurous. (The node for a 24" barrel with N160 & 140 gr's is indicated at about 2840 fps but found 1/2 moa groups at 2818 fps) Ps. N165 seems like it will shoots fantastic.
    I have only tried the 160 gr Partitions with Sonchem but could not get it to group to my liking

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    Only thing wrong in my mind is the .270 is a 38special short. Should be a 308, lol
    Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Huh?
    Meaning get a 308 rather then a 270

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast