Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 223 vs 22-250

Default Re: 223 vs 22-250

Hi all , thanks for all the input , finally decided on the 223 , Bough myself the Howa 1500 24" Bullbarrel 223 from VLT for R7900 giving me nice play for silencer and scope ..

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by simonsmal View Post
    Hi all , thanks for all the input , finally decided on the 223 , Bough myself the Howa 1500 24" Bullbarrel 223 from VLT for R7900 giving me nice play for silencer and scope ..
    MMMnuuft rather rude - you ask ask what caliber and why, then rush off and buy with out consulting on make. ????
    You never even asked Stainless or Blue ???
    Its Stainless by the way, Howa or Ruger for me.

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    MMMnuuft rather rude - you ask ask what caliber and why, then rush off and buy with out consulting on make. ????
    You never even asked Stainless or Blue ???
    Haha my apologies treeman , was a spur of the moment thing, and yes its the stainless one, after originally taking the blued ( which is cheaper ) and paying they realised that its already sold and only have the stainless left so they gave it to me at that price .. bargain

+1 Treeman

Also what about the twist rate? a .223 has a variety of twist rate options for varying bullet weights.

*side note: is there a scale or a table where you can weight up twist rate to bullet length instead of bullet weight?- I think that would work better.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    some good advice from treeman here...

but now the remington or tikka fanboyz are going to come knocking wanting to know what is wrong with theirs... or trying to convince you why theirs are better....

Quote Originally Posted by fkritzinger View Post
    some good advice from treeman here...

but now the remington or tikka fanboyz are going to come knocking wanting to know what is wrong with theirs... or trying to convince you why theirs are better....
    Very simple , money talks unfortunately for me the Remington 700 is an exceptional weapon but too expensive , dont even get me started on Tikka , for the price of a Tikka my gun is completely kitted out

Quote Originally Posted by Juriew View Post
    +1 Treeman

Also what about the twist rate? a .223 has a variety of twist rate options for varying bullet weights.

*side note: is there a scale or a table where you can weight up twist rate to bullet length instead of bullet weight?- I think that would work better.
    The heavy barrel Howa 223 is 1:9 twist rate

User

Now, buy some 53/ 55gr Barnes TSX bullets, load with Hodgdon Varget to anything between 3000 and 3400FPS and enjoy having a flat shooting, accurate rifle that punches above its weight if you choose your shots well.

I have taken 6 Impala, 2 jackal and a couple of monkeys with my CZ527 in .223Rem. Furthest shot was 287M on an impala ram and he fell right where he was standing after taking a shot through the neck vertebra where the neck joins the shoulder. Even at that distance the bullet basically shattered the vertebra and exited on the far side. I would have no problem taking on jackal way past the 200M mark, they are much softer boned and far easier to kill than impala.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by simonsmal View Post
    The heavy barrel Howa 223 is 1:9 twist rate
    Sierra 65/63 gr GK bullets -2900 fps good for young Impala Rams - Ewes - Small warthog - it can in theory shoot almost anything, I shot my first 3 Kudu with a .223 55 gr bullet.
    Cody has shot a few hogs nearing 40 kg, and they all had reasonably worrying runs before expiring.
    Nice thing about that 1 - 9 twist is you can shoot the 40 gr bullets just as well, just drop a bit of max velocity. Cody's 1-9 shoots 40 gr GS customs - 55 gr V Max and 63 gr GK to same vertical line but different heights.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Koebelwagen View Post
    Now, buy some 53/ 55gr Barnes TSX bullets, load with Hodgdon Varget to anything between 3000 and 3400FPS and enjoy having a flat shooting, accurate rifle that punches above its weight if you choose your shots well.

I have taken 6 Impala, 2 jackal and a couple of monkeys with my CZ527 in .223Rem. Furthest shot was 287M on an impala ram and he fell right where he was standing after taking a shot through the neck vertebra where the neck joins the shoulder. Even at that distance the bullet basically shattered the vertebra and exited on the far side. I would have no problem taking on jackal way past the 200M mark, they are much softer boned and far easier to kill than impala.
    problem is if you had not hit neck vertebra - with a 223 - mono bullet - 300 m kinda shot, don't get me started.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast