Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned

Default reading .22 grouping

Went shooting today, had a job on a farm and took the CZ .22 Mod11 along. I have found that I have a growing love for the .22 caliber, even in center fire.
    I am enjoying it tremendously learning the trajectory and behavior of different ammo.
    My rifle is zeroed at 70 m and I am shooting Remington Thunderbolts ( I have to ...... they cost less). Now the thing I wish to ask is regarding the grouping - the two groups that form. I shoot a shot note hole and shoot again and again close group with one hole a inch up of group forming below, carry on shooting - and 40/50 shots later there is a distinct two groups, both good groups, but in different places.
    I have my own theory, but would like to know what others say.
    Shot the Guerrilla ammo later - one group.
    What causes two groups ?.

Banned

Default Re: reading .22 grouping

Cheap ammo made for playing with in an AR in 22LR. The Thunderbolts dont even group in my rifle but give a scattergun pattern at 50m.

User

Maybe the barrel got so hot that it started drooping a bit? Sorry bud but I could not stop myself! but it could be heat? I have worked through several brands of saloon ammo and found that my rifle actually likes the Thunderbolt sub-sonic's. What is your theory?

User

Quote Originally Posted by driepootx View Post
    Cheap ammo made for playing with in an AR in 22LR. The Thunderbolts dont even group in my rifle but give a scattergun pattern at 50m.
    Agree with that. ^^^

You may get lucky and find a cheap ammo type that mostly shoots well, but generally they are cheap for a reason. That goes for most bulk packs.

That does not mean that expensive ammo will always shoot well...

Banned

Please do not mistake me on the Thunderbolts, they greasy sooty dirty and cheap - every now and a box one even sounds different.+ they round nose ammo and only good for targets.
    My reason for using them is that they shoot in about same place as other brands and when we play, they good enough. On the farm they good enough to hit a steel square 2 x 4 inch from 0 - 75 m. They also the main diet for the hand gun .22 at 30 m or less, in short they good enough - barely but usable. I have hollow point Guerrilla/Winchester/ Ellie?/ and a 1000 Swartklip for hunting - vermin control.
    I think they make two distinct different groups because they come from two different production plants or perhaps assembly machines (more likely), each plant or assembly line produces constant grade ammo - but its slightly different to the other machine or lines. This ammo goes into one collection point and then gets boxed, you get some from the old machine that makes slightly looser cases and some from the new machine that makes tighter cases - perhaps the bullet mold is marginally bigger and other smaller.
    Dunno - but I have two distinct ammos.
    Must mention that I open whole 10 x packs and pout them all into one box so the different ammo may come from different boxes which come off different lines ???

What say yee all ???

Banned

Oh - for the point 22 shooters - a lil tip - ask your mechanic for old disk pads ( the replaceable part of disk breaks - the shoes).
    They already have two hanging wholes, and the metal hold up to 9 mm hits, spray them white and hang them as steel targets. You can also put a stick through the holes and stand them on the ground - cheap throw away steel targets.

User

You will get different replies, but this is my 2c:
    I have a slazenger no1B and it shoots 22 doppies at 20m, BUT it is swartklip trainers, so does my newly aquired anschutz. Commen denomminator is the ammo. Unfortunately they are pricy, but they group well- meaning good ammo- swartklip is long gone.

Get yourself different boxes and see which is best, olso best on your pocket. I found eley sport to be good in the anschutz- 5/5 on 100m .22 gong in windless conditions, which is approx 40mm size.

Apparently different rifles “like” different ammo. I picked up a brick of SK Standard for R750. Fiochi goes for R500/brick. Gone are the days of R110/brick, or 15c/50!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you clean the rifle after say 50 shots with the Thunderbolts, they foul up the barrel badly on my 22's and accuracy suffers.

Banned

Bassie Theuns as per OP, the particular ammo shoots two groups, two clear separate groups, what would cause this ammo to do that ?.
    Other ammo shoots a normal one group, good or bad, but one group, the Thanderbolts shoot two separate groups in one shooting string.

User

Treeman, it was previously suggested, on another thread, that to get decent groups, you should weigh the rounds and classify them accordingly. This was for SK Standard. Maybe this might show you a direction as to why, from the same box, you get two distinct groups. I did this with American Eagle and you would be surprise in the weight difference. I discard this ammo (let the young ones have fun with it) rather than frustrate me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast