Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default First 9mm and cant decide between Glock 19 gen 3 and Gen 5

Hi Ladies and Gents

I'm looking for a bit of advice. In the coming week I'm wanting to purchase my first 9mm and specifically a glock 19. I've shot a gen 3 but with the gen 5 being the latest model does that make it worth it with a R3000 price difference?

I am wanting to use this 9mm at the range and as an everyday carry gun. When i shot the Gen 3 i had no idea it was the Gen 3 i was just handed the gun and told it was a Glock 19. I have the opportunity to shoot both the Gen 5 and the Gen 3 before i buy but i doubt i would see the difference being a novice.

Would it be worth shooting both side by side or will i not notice much of a difference

What is everyone's thoughts and opinions if i had to go for the Gen 3 would i be losing out on anything?

Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone
    Last edited by Dunc1957; 14-08-2019 at 19:56. Reason: information correction

User

Default Re: First 9mm and cant decide between Glock 19 gen 3 and Gen 5

Each Gen is betterer. If the budget allows, go for the 5

At double the price, I would take the Gen 3 every day. Proven over and over as a reliable EDC firearm.

Apologies checked the prices again and there is a R3000 price difference

Quote Originally Posted by Krokodil View Post
    At double the price, I would take the Gen 3 every day. Proven over and over as a reliable EDC firearm.
    This. Or buy 2 gen 3's and shoot the hell out of one of them. The other can be kept clean for carry. A well used gun stinks unless you are into meticulous cleaning plus you will shoot a lot more if you don't have to spend time cleaning. Just add oil and shoot.

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Quote Originally Posted by Cockroach View Post
    Each Gen is betterer. If the budget allows, go for the 5
    How was the Gen4 better than the 3 in 9mmP?
    live out your imagination , not your history.

User

Quote Originally Posted by KK20 View Post
    How was the Gen4 better than the 3 in 9mmP?
    Better grip texture, better recoil spring , slightly slimmer grip.

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

What is inferior in the Gen 3 spring?
    live out your imagination , not your history.

User

Quote Originally Posted by KK20 View Post
    What is inferior in the Gen 3 spring?
    Grant9 never said the Gen 3 recoil spring is inferior. No one did. He simply said the new (dual) recoil is an improvement (used the word better). And he is right. Do you contest that the new recoil spring is an improvement over the older Gen3 recoil spring? The question you could have rather asked should have been: "Will your average (or novice shooter) pick up on the difference between the two respective recoil springs? In my personal opinion, no. They wont notice the difference. Both Gen 3 and Gen 4 are perfectly reliable pistols. An improvement on a product/part does not imply the previous model was inferior or unreliable.

Quote Originally Posted by willie.eyn View Post
    Grant9 never said the Gen 3 recoil spring is inferior. No one did. He simply said the new (dual) recoil is an improvement (used the word better). And he is right. Do you contest that the new recoil spring is an improvement over the older Gen3 recoil spring? The question you could have rather asked should have been: "Will your average (or novice shooter) pick up on the difference between the two respective recoil springs? In my personal opinion, no. They wont notice the difference.
    The dual recoil spring is likely more relevant in the 40 which had some issues given that the gun was not originally designed for the calibre. Without empirical evidence in the 9mm, the point is moot. Certainly arguments either which way abound.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast