my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Default 1st Field Company, South African Indian and Malay Corps

A South African Indian man has been commemorated as a World War II hero. Soldier Ebrahim Adams who was born in 1916 allegedly fought as a Sapper in the 1st Field Company, South African Indian and Malay Corps. This formed part of the South African Engineer Corps (SAEC).

Adam’s address when he joined was registered as 158 Long Street. He also reportedly escaped from the Italian prison camp on May 7, 1944, and hid with other soldiers in the Fréteval forest until they were rescued in August 1944.

He has now been commemorated at the 75th anniversary of the freeing of the Fréteval Evaders in France.

An author named Rob Belk, and his wife Caire, who live in France share a keen interest in military history and have begun researching the role a family relative played in the rescue of the Evaders. Their research found Adams was with the South African 5th Brigade at Sidi Rezeq, Libya when they were attacked by 150 tanks. The South Africans, however, were overpowered and Adams found himself in Italy as a Prisoner of War (PoW).

“In 1942 while in the Italian POW camp he teamed up with private Rudolph Hoover, from Durban who was also captured. They survived incarceration with Russian POWs in Germany and in 1943 were transferred to Beauvais, France, to repair bomb damage to the airfield. On May 5, 1944, they were told that they were to be sent back to Germany. This spurred their escape plans and on May 7, 1944, they broke free,” Belk said. “They were still clad in their army uniform, without papers and hid in the woods before they contacted a local farmer. On May 26 they were put on a train to Paris where they were met by Cométe Line members. By June 11 they were hidden in the forest at Fréteval.”

Adams was one of two South Africans who was stuck in the forest.

According to a report of the Fréteval camp, Commander Lieutenant Berry highly commended Adams. “His morale, spirit and discipline were very fine the whole time. He never complained and would immediately stop anyone else he heard complaining. He showed-up many white men by his cheerfulness and fine example”

August 15 2019
    live out your imagination , not your history.

User

Default Re: 1st Field Company, South African Indian and Malay Corps

Great Escape story of two South Africans
    https://www.iol.co.za/capeargus/news...-town-30816054

Banned

Default Re: 1st Field Company, South African Indian and Malay Corps

In my youth i lived in the Prisoner of war books, incredible stories, wish I had kept every book I read.
    I still have a carry over question from something I once read about and never saw again. One of the escape books mentioned making a "like bread" that would swell after eaten, this would fool the body that the stomach was full, greatly reducing discomfort during escape period.
    Any one know of this ?