Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: 6.5x55 vs 6.5 Creedmore vs 260 Remington for hunting

Geez Messor, chill a bit?

User

All three are fantastic calibers to start hunting with.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
    Geez Messor, chill a bit?
    - Treeman wonders off back to his fire grinning.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post

We see so many people that can shoot tiny groups or gongs out yonder who thinks they can actually hunt, not realizing shooting gongs is just about the easiest thing to do. One session with a pro will have you hitting gongs all day long. One session of hunting practice will get you nowhere, it takes years to master hunting.
    There is a lot of truth in this and it probably warrants a thread of its own.

I have shot a lot of game with both the 6.5x55 and the Creedmoor. I have guided several hunters using the .260 rem. If you use an identical bullet in the three calibers, there is no discernible difference in performance on game.

Once you understand that cartridges do not kill, bullets do, the above makes perfect sense.

User

I shoot 6,5X55 SE because I have a rifle in that caliber, not because I'm a "fan" of any caliber. When I bought the rifle there were no other practical offerings in 6,5 mm family, which is a nice all-around caliber with the game we can hunt back here in Finland: with Norma bonded bullets terminal ballistics on an elk is well comparable with 30-06 and with 9 gram SCENAR or Norma FMJ bullet flat enough trajectory at ranges suitable for hunting grouse.

Since the bullet doesn't care from which shell casing it got its V0, I really don't understand why people keep on arguing on which 6,5 is "the best" of them all. If the ballistics of any of these versions will cover the needs of your application, that'll be your preferred choice. There's also the matter of length and weight of the weapon itself, the old Swede is long and likes to burn more propellant because of its ancestry, the newcomers enable shorter action and often even shorter barrel length. Whatever is your need and application.

Right now I'm in a process of finding myself a relatively light weight self loading rifle platform with an effective and up to 600 - 800 meters reliably deliverable ammunition, preferably in 6,5 mm for its excellent BC and sectional density. This is because I'm more and more giving classes on hunting the most dangerous animal on the planet earth at intermediate ranges. Not teaching on hitting gongs which have their place as a training medium, but there's much more to it than just doing the math and sending the bullet, that would be the precision rifle course with different tools and motives.

User

We were sitting on the range this morning discussing exactly that, a false sense of reality.
    We see so many people that can shoot tiny groups or gongs out yonder who thinks they can actually hunt, not realizing shooting gongs is just about the easiest thing to do.
    If it's so easy, why haven't we seen you and your awe-inspiring shooting ability at any of the matches? I'm sure everyone would welcome some more competition...

I expect your answer will revolve around not needing to prove anything to anyone, which then would beg some introspection...because you're on here trying to prove everyone that owns a 6.5CM and shoots gongs are <insert adjective of choice> without knowing their history, ability or training levels...

User

A wife does not want a gong shooter to show up, someone who can hit the same gong every single time, she wants a hunter to show up, someone with real skill, not a yuppie that is still wet from the bluetooth behind his ears.
    I think every woman wants her gong to ring every once in a while, though. The hunter who just spends 3 minutes in the veld before getting his meat hanging is also not always the best one to have.

User

Quote Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
    If it's so easy, why haven't we seen you and your awe-inspiring shooting ability at any of the matches? I'm sure everyone would welcome some more competition...

I expect your answer will revolve around not needing to prove anything to anyone, which then would beg some introspection...because you're on here trying to prove everyone that owns a 6.5CM and shoots gongs are <insert adjective of choice> without knowing their history, ability or training levels...
    You know this is a satirical thread right, started as such.
    You knew I would play that game, right?

Having said that, read what I posted again, I said any hunter can use a 6.5 creed, I even specifically mentioned someone that is a great hunter that uses one.

But, not all was tongue in cheek.
    Being a great shot on the range does not make you a great shot in the veld.
    This is something my brother sees a lot, because the first thing you do before anybody is allowed to hunt anything is go to the range, and at the range people shoot very deliciously. And they dope and they dial and they ring the gongs( yes we have our own range with gongs). And then when the shooting in of the weapons is done the going to the veld happens. And suddenly a man who shoot 10mm groups misses animals completely. Why, because shooting from a bipod or bench is just that, nothing more and it will never be anything more.

A youngster the other day, very good at shooting over his bipod, and when it got the veld could not hit anything, not on the plains nor in the mountains, simply did not have the experience or skill set required, only training on benches or bipods.

So you know I am not going to stop knocking the 6.5, I am also not a fool I understand not everybody that have one is only a range shooter. I am merely saying that many people with success in one discipline thinks that success magically grants skill in another discipline. Or let me word it differently, many people competing in shooting sports thinks that skill crosses over from the different events. In our scenario, making great shots think sport shooting skill crosses over to hunting, and that is a fallacy. You want to be a good benchrest shot, practice that, you want to be a great gong shooter, practice that, you want to be a great hunter, practice that. And what do people do, they practice the first two and think they are good at the last one.

It’s like me picking up a shotgun thinking I will hit all the clays, not gonna work.

User

I tried not to make it too complicated. I wanted a low recoil range gun to stretch out a bit further than my old 303, but that I can take on the occassional hunt as well. Ok so 308 comes to mind but 6.5 is better for range use. Both work for hunting. Ok so which 6.5? They are all the same on game as all use the same bullets. So it comes down to the platform, creedmoor has a huge fanbase, fanboy or not this directly translates to availability. So I chose creedmoor, its the newest one and because of that craze I could buy a cheap rifle that offers aftermarket support and upgrades over the internet. Its easy to load for and parts and components are available. Does that make me a fanboy, not necessarily, I will probably still use my 303 for most of my hunting at close range.

User

I wouldn't worry too much about Messor, most of it is tongue in cheek, but he also speaks some sense. I am getting better at hunting since I started using my old 303 without a scope than I was shooting a 308 from a bakkie. Everyone can shoot, but hunting takes skill.

That being said I bet Messor has a secret 6.5 he hides somewhere ;)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast