Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: GLOCK must have OEM upgrades

Glock has start offering different sight options but i'm not sure if its like that in SA yet...as mentioned mine came with steel night sights

User

For the first 20+ years I had my first Glock, I only needed to cut down the slide stop lever, so I did not activate it inadvertantly. Was getting tired of carefully placing my fingers so as not to get a user-induced stoppage. The thumb on my right hand was touching it.

The stock plastic sights served me well. They do wear down from carry, but stay as black and visible as new. I replaced them a few times, but they are cheap and easily replaced. Shot competitively with them as well and did not suffer due to poor sights. They are big indeed, but I used them to shoot a few gunea fowl at a measured 50m. That's good enough for me.

With ageing eyes I started looking at better sights. I now have steel FO front and black rear. Yes, it is a better setup for me, so I can recommend it. Did not improve my scores, but probably helped me to keep them from dropping too much. One of my Glocks still has the stock sights and I can still shoot it, so maybe not all that crucial for performance.

I did replace the striker on my first G with a Titanium unit form Ligtning Strike. It sounds different but I can not say it makes me or the pistol shoot any better. It also contributed to a mechanical issue after +/- 10k rounds, that resulted in the sear tripping when I did NOT want it to. I would not go that route again. Stick with the original.

I like the 2kg connector on my G34 (gen3), but I can shoot just about the same with a stock 2,5kg connector. Just teach your trigger finger.

One mod that I consider important, I polished the sharp edge where the feed ramp connects to the chamber dow a tiny amount. Did not remove any support, just made it smooth. This improved reliability with my reloads (26,5mm COL) to the point that the pistols feed 106% reliably. Cost me 5 minutes. I tend to do this to all types of pistols.

The best upgrade to any Glock is a progressive reloader. The more you shoot it, the better it becomes. Maybe it's just the shooter that becomes better? And that goes for any pistol, except maybe a plastic-framed Taurus.

User

Quote Originally Posted by FNBROWNING View Post
    Most other pistols at least offer solid robust workable sights for the same price. It really is time that Glock got called out on this. The fundamental mechanical design is brilliant and the reason we depend on it.
    Sorry, but no. Just no. You have this very backwards.

Yes, there are other manufacturers who produce their firearms cheaply enough that they can splurge on metal sights (which 4 out of 3 buyers are going to change anyway), and still make a fat markup.

I am very thankful that Glock is not one of them, and does not insist on forcing their particular idea of sights down my throat. They put the cheapest, simplest to replace, workable sights on their guns (and they do work), and spend the difference on the pistols themselves, in the form of better metals, better polymers, better machining, better quality control and better manufacturing consistency than anyone else.

(PS, I am a Ruger faboi, with a weakness for Smithy MnPs. But I like Glocks because I live in the jungle and I am not a moron. That's all)

User

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    So to be contentious. Is the Glock inadequate in over the counter form?
    Yes, while not spectacular the sights work, the trigger is good and the weapon reliable.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    So the most important thing ..... the aiming system, must be replaced .... surely not.
    No, the stock sights work.
    There are just better options depending on usage and the guns unfortunately are not sold in different configurations.

Quote Originally Posted by Piet vWdVries View Post
    Sorry, but no. Just no. You have this very backwards.

Yes, there are other manufacturers who produce their firearms cheaply enough that they can splurge on metal sights (which 4 out of 3 buyers are going to change anyway), and still make a fat markup.

I am very thankful that Glock is not one of them, and does not insist on forcing their particular idea of sights down my throat. They put the cheapest, simplest to replace, workable sights on their guns (and they do work), and spend the difference on the pistols themselves, in the form of better metals, better polymers, better machining, better quality control and better manufacturing consistency than anyone else.

(PS, I am a Ruger faboi, with a weakness for Smithy MnPs. But I like Glocks because I live in the jungle and I am not a moron. That's all)
    Hard to accuse the likes of Beretta, CZ etc of producing products that are not the equal of Glock. Their sights may not be perfect for everyone but they are steel, durable and very usable. Glock cuts corners on the sights plain and simply to increase profit.

User

Quote Originally Posted by FNBROWNING View Post
    Hard to accuse the likes of Beretta, CZ etc of producing products that are not the equal of Glock. Their sights may not be perfect for everyone but they are steel, durable and very usable. Glock cuts corners on the sights plain and simply to increase profit.
    lol

User

I actually really like the Glock stock sight picture. If I were to upgrade I’d go with Trijicon HD , but not rushing (Gen 5 g 26)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Sights and an SCD if the gun is for carry.

I also swap out the standard striker spring for an Eemantech unit, but that is far from required and if you do swap it out, be prepared to retest your carry ammo for reliable ignition.

Hopefully not a derail. But my CZ P01 was great out of the box. Then I added Night Sights. And a Cajun Pro Package from Jizni. And VZ Grips. Now to me its Brilliant.
    Was all this needed. Nope. But it made a great pistol even better.

Only thing I ever thought needs to change on standard Glock was the fact they put Plastic sights on.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast