Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Default Re: Some advice for those who has/wants to remain behind.

Quote Originally Posted by RevA View Post
    so its a good idea if it is stuff the you usually use.
    Pretty essential really, especially with food. The last thing you need in a survival scenario, is being able to shit through a screen door because your digestive system isn't used to the food you've stocked up.

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

I cannot leave as I had sunk everything I had worked for into business and other things here. I am going to carve up everything and give pieces to my staff and I will work for them protected by the LRA.
    I will encourage my child to leave.
    I tell everyone wanting to leave DO NOT JUSTIFY your decision to anyone. If you move from one part of town to another or one city to another or one country to another it is freedom of choice and no ones business.
    South Africa is a banana republic ( def: " In political science, the term banana republic describes a politically unstable country with an economy dependent upon the exportation of a limited-resource product, such as bananas or minerals.")

Other countries maybe absolute shit holes but you don't have to bribe anyone to get a drivers license or ID card. Your kids are able to pursue sports and education irrespective of their race. South African liberation war is not over and the easiest part was the so called bush war years. We are now into the next part of that struggle and when it is done EVERY person will be touched by it as we already are now.

I am not negative , I still go out for a laugh and ride in the lovely weather and enjoy our brilliant food. It is sad to see so many of my friends and customers leave. In the meantime I have to learn SADC languages as they are now moving in at an increasing rate.
    live out your imagination , not your history.

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Quote Originally Posted by Ωhm View Post
    Pretty essential really, especially with food. The last thing you need in a survival scenario, is being able to shit through a screen door because your digestive system isn't used to the food you've stocked up.
    People eat out of habit. We should learn how long our bodies can go without food before we start slacking off, then make that our eating times. ( water is needed)
    live out your imagination , not your history.

User

People should start by being honest with themselves.

Many people thought that magically this country would be ok, but they are coming around, now understanding that this country is going to be destroyed basically. Prepping with food and water is also not going to do anything meaningful, nada. People should ask themselves if they understand hardship, and everything that comes with it. Zim got food and power from us, we cannot borrow that from a neighbour south of us.

Can you do without food, try it.
    Can you stitch someone up, or yourself if needed, if not learn how.
    Can you pull a tooth when there is no more dentists around, the power is off and the diesel all gone?

Money is not going to help you one bit, it’s the first thing that goes to sh!t, can’t buy stuff with money if there is no stuff to buy. If all you’ve ever known your whole life is a roof over your head, a full belly, a warm bed and a car which have petrol in it, prepping is not going to do you any good.

If you learn from the experiences of others that faced similar situations in history, they survived because of mindset, not their prepping habits.

Age against me, as well as a wife that has cancer. I am going nowhere because I can't. I think a large problem is remaining positive even if things go bad and everybody is jumping ship. Yes, it sounds like a pie in the sky, however the mind is what keeps you going. Prepping and a healthy body means nada if you are not strong between the ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    People should start by being honest with themselves.

Many people thought that magically this country would be ok, but they are coming around, now understanding that this country is going to be destroyed basically. Prepping with food and water is also not going to do anything meaningful, nada. People should ask themselves if they understand hardship, and everything that comes with it. Zim got food and power from us, we cannot borrow that from a neighbour south of us.

Can you do without food, try it.
    Can you stitch someone up, or yourself if needed, if not learn how.
    Can you pull a tooth when there is no more dentists around, the power is off and the diesel all gone?

Money is not going to help you one bit, it’s the first thing that goes to sh!t, can’t buy stuff with money if there is no stuff to buy. If all you’ve ever known your whole life is a roof over your head, a full belly, a warm bed and a car which have petrol in it, prepping is not going to do you any good.

If you learn from the experiences of others that faced similar situations in history, they survived because of mindset, not their prepping habits.
    Agreed... But I have family still living in Zim (since the late 40's / early 50s). They are happy enough. The thing was that they moved money offshore while the times were still good. This has been the difference for them.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post
    And whatever you do, don't work on an assumption that you will have a firearm in the future. Because that doesn't fit with the ANC's likely plans.
    Take up watersports.

Boating accidents are unpredictable and unfortunate.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

My wife and myself are very well educated, young, financially stable and can therefore easily leave. I have had numerous job offers over the world, never accepted one. We never wanted to leave. Hell I am shit scared of leaving. If I spend more than two weeks over the water all I want to do is come home. We have been avoiding the reality of what is going on by arguing “we will be fine”. Now we we don’t know anymore. Everytime we have the conversation on leaving we get stuck on “we don’t want to go”. How do you get over it? Saddest decision we will ever have to make. Hell I don’t want to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Gman View Post
    My wife and myself are very well educated, young, financially stable and can therefore easily leave. I have had numerous job offers over the world, never accepted one. We never wanted to leave. Hell I am shit scared of leaving. If I spend more than two weeks over the water all I want to do is come home. We have been avoiding the reality of what is going on by arguing “we will be fine”. Now we we don’t know anymore. Everytime we have the conversation on leaving we get stuck on “we don’t want to go”. How do you get over it? Saddest decision we will ever have to make. Hell I don’t want to leave.
    Any kids?

Without them, I doubt we would have had the courage to leave.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    Any kids?

Without them, I doubt we would have had the courage to leave.
    Our son is the biggest reason my wife consented to start having this discussion. Having kids, and wanting the best possible future for them, changes ones outlook and priorities.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast