Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned

Default Whats changed - cleaning hand guns.

2011 about I once posted a thread inquiring about using silicon as a lubricant - actually asked does silicon affect primers like oil. Stated that I do not clean my weapons all the time. I asked is there a oil or substance that can be used instead.
    It was one of my first internet attack experiences. Got told by a good few people how they clean their guns every day etc and why - what not etc about looking after something your life may depend on etc.
    I stated - I remember, "I carry a fire arm but do not live in a state of red alert". I argued the not having to clean every day - and was basically told I am reckless fool.
    I now see XYZ now advocating they do not believe in constant fire arm cleaning.
    Whats changed ? better oils ???

User

Default Re: Whats changed - cleaning hand guns.

I must admit I’ve never heard or known of someone who cleans everyday.
    I do however hear of folks that may wipe down sweaty/greasy guns just as a prevention or precaution against possible rust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

When I started to shoot seriously I was informed that clean guns jams. I did not believe it, but tried it on a new Z88. Jams occurred 1/100 with a clean pistol, when I cleaned it every 5k rounds the jams still happened within the first 100 rounds.

Now I only carry a dirty gun after it fired 100 rounds. Test for function is the buzz word.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

User

Clean guns don't malfunction / "Jam", whatever "Jam" is supposed to mean.

Guns that are NOT lubricated malfunction (Even clean one's...), guns that have so much shit, grit and debris stuck in them that it binds parts or welds parts together, malfunction.

A clean gun that is correctly lubricated will work. It doesn't need dirt to keep working. I carried an immaculately cleaned Z88 and later a Beretta model 92FS for almost 20 years. I never once had a stoppage or malfunction in 30K plus rounds through the Z88 and about 12K through the Beretta. I have however seen (first hand) hundreds of malfunctions in dirty or un-lubricated guns, and that includes Glocks, R4's, R5's.

Agreed. Lube is the thing.

As to not carrying a clean gun, I suppose the thinking has changed over the years.

If you stripped it, cleaned it, reassembled and lubed it, you trust and believe that it will work when needed.

If you have shot a few rounds through it, you have objective evidence that you reassembled and lubed it correctly. It just adds a layer of trust. Or removes a layer of belief, if you will.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

I was always taught clean after shooting, I'm sure this had to do with the corrosive ammo etc used back in the day. But I try clean after every shoot.
    The long guns go back into the safe with a Hoppes gun grease exterior wipe down as well, have had surface rust appear after being away for holidays.
    prevention is always better than cure.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    If you stripped it, cleaned it, reassembled and lubed it, you trust and believe that it will work when needed.

If you have shot a few rounds through it, you have objective evidence that you reassembled and lubed it correctly. It just adds a layer of trust. Or removes a layer of belief, if you will.
    This is a wonderful analogy

User

I bet no one actually told you they clean everyday

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    I bet no one actually told you they clean everyday
    Dig up the old thread ?

Cleaning a handgun everyday. Could be seen as OCD symptoms.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast