Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Blades Blunt Blades and hides and sharpening.

Generally speaking a properly tempered D2 blade with a coarse / medium edge will last way longer than a scalpel type one.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Glockster View Post
    Generally speaking a properly tempered D2 blade with a coarse / medium edge will last way longer than a scalpel type one.
    ************ My thinking too

User

I am Not a master blade smith, but what I have learned is that the shaving shapr edges are good for light duty only. the angle behind the cutting edge is TOO narrow, and the edge rolls over quickly. For hard work, and occasionally hitting a bone, a wide angle is better...

Next is definitely metal hardening and temper. sadly, DOW makes ok pocket knifes for occasional use only... I have 2 and neither has a hardening/temper worth sh!t...

I have resorted to using proper butcher knifes bought from Crown. I got 3. They are HARD, and stay sharp very long. but, put a too fine edge on them, and you have the same problem as with other knives. I see no need to use your expensive handcrafted pocket or hunting knife to butcher your animals, when good butchery knifes can be had for silly money...

Banned

I also have a couple of butcher knifes at home, but I do not travel with them.

User

I hear you Treeman... I throw them into one of the plastic crates my meat comes back in, along with some canvas that is used to cover the meat. They get used when we cut/quarter the carcass, and they get used again at home when we do the actual processing. I just got tired of having to spend more time sharpening blades that getting the butchering work done...

User

A Stanley knife blade is available with a gut hook. Works a treat. I have some but don't ask where I got them.

Quote Originally Posted by driepootx View Post
    Dave, the carpet blade for the Stanley knive works a treat when doing the cuts though the skin. They seem to stay sharp never mind what is thrown at them.

Banned

The carpet blades look like gut hooks, but you have to be careful when gutting as they do not have a blunt point.

User

Your post reminded me of the time I was working a blue wildebeest carcass with my wife. She kept complaining that the knives were blunt, so I resharpened it, and again she said it was blunt. ... We discovered that there was nothing wrong with my knives, but everything wrong with the fact that it had to be the toughest animal I have ever worked with. The other two wildebeest we did were ok, but this one must have been kevlar reinforced. Even the mincer complained.

I must say, I get a lot of satisfaction with the Victorinox range of knives. I find them easy to sharpen. I also went for the Warthog sharpener, but I now use 3 of them, each one set at a different angle, and with a different grit abrasive. I start at the narrowest angle with 270, to shape the blade. i then pull it through 600 twice at a wider angle to take the burs off, and then I pull it through once more with 1000 grit at the next angle to polish.

What is the best angle for sharpening blades using an lansky.
    They say 25 for hunting, 20 for butchery.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mip View Post
    What is the best angle for sharpening blades using an lansky.They say 25 for hunting, 20 for butchery.
    Opinions differ. The users and the type of steel both have an influence. 20° on knives I use alone and 25° on the knives for everyone else. Better steel get the smaller angle, softer steel gets a larger angle. I only use the Lansky when I have time and need to do a precise job.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast