Default New potential gun owner

Hi everyone

I have never owned a handgun before, and have never fired a firearm either.
    I'm looking to start the journey to get a self defense license.

I know the journey is somewhat long and I have a lot to learn, but working close to town in CPT I was thinking that a good start would be to go to City Guns.

They seem to have a range there and may not be a bad one stop shop to find a firearm that is comfortable enough sizewise to be an EDC but also one that is comfortable to use. I'm hoping they assist with the process from start to finish, including assistance in terms of what I need to get licensed.

I've been trawling the thread, but still have so many questions. Will try search thoroughly before asking questions that may have been answered multiple times already.

My concerns at this stage are more the practical issues of carrying: How to carry... how comfortable is it to sit down, drive, walk, hike, etc... but those things I guess will come with time.

Someone even suggested I get a airsoft replica pistol, and practice carrying it around for a couple of weeks and see how I feel wearing it (just make sure no one sees it, otherwise it will cause more problems than anything).

Another suggestion I got was to rather get a sports shooting license in order to have more than one firearm, such as a handgun for EDC and a shotgun for home defense - but there are of course differences in requirements for storage, transportation, carry, etc which I'm concerned about. Also there seems to be this grey area about using a sports shooting licensed handgun as an EDC.

Can anyone confirm whether city guns is a good place to start? Do they have a range where I could trial a couple of handguns to find a comfortable fit? I've read up a bit about Glock 19 and even the Glock 26 - but I have big hands so the latter may not be a good fit.

As someone who isn't proficient yet the thought of a loaded and gun ready to fire attached to me without a safety is a scary thought - but I guess with proficiency comes confidence - but still, Glock Leg :-)

Sorry, this post got a bit long winded - but any comments or suggestions (or links to threads) are appreciated.

Default Re: New potential gun owner

Welcome.

I have tremendous respect for people with no firearms background that make the decision to obtain and carry a firearm.

As to your questions, yes, most of the info is on here.

City Guns will sort you out, I’m sure. I am biased toward CHS Guns, see if you can look up Ayesha, she’s bound to set you on your way.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

Banned

Welcome

There is quite a difference between theory and the practical side of things. Thus: Yes, read as much as you can - and there is a huge amount of info available on this forum - but get down to the practical side of things as well.

Get in contact with some of the firearm clubs in your vicinity (Kraaifontein?) and get the folks to show you the ropes. And visit some IDPA or IPSC matches to see the sporting side of shooting.

Most firearm owners and enthusiasts would not mind the least bit to get you into shooting. That would also put you in contact with EDCers who can assist you with those questions.

If you ask on this forum I can almost guarantee that someone will volunteer to take you to a shooting range. Remember to offer to pay for the ammunition you shoot out - most folks wouldn't mind sponsoring you the first time or two, but not all can afford it.

User

City Guns are great, have had good dealings with them.

Another one if you want to shoot outside would be FBSSC (False Bay Sport Shooting Club). You can hire firearms from them and they offer all the proficiency training as well as a number of other courses.

I’m planning on heading there this weekend so if you want to join me you are welcome to try out my G17 & G43 and I’ll also give you a basic rundown of fundamentals, safety, equipment etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BB1978 View Post
    City Guns are great, have had good dealings with them.

Another one if you want to shoot outside would be FBSSC (False Bay Sport Shooting Club). You can hire firearms from them and they offer all the proficiency training as well as a number of other courses.

I’m planning on heading there this weekend so if you want to join me you are welcome to try out my G17 & G43 and I’ll also give you a basic rundown of fundamentals, safety, equipment etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I was in the exact same boat.
    No experience in firearms at all and had to figure out the process as i went along.

Will also be at Falsebay this weekend, probably Sunday. Happy to let you try out my G19.

User

The above 2 replies just solidifies what outstanding/generous members we have. Well Done!!

User

City guns are a good bunch

I'm in exactly the same boat as you.

Also deciding between G26 and G19
    The bellow are just my thoughts on the matter and conclusion I have come 2.

What I did was go shoot with both. Understand how you going to carry it. Practice sitting bending down tieing your shoe lace and see the feel while it's on you.

Also what do you want the gun for? Pure SD the G26 will serve you right. And you can make it bigger.

If you want to start shooting and do some club shoots G19 will stand better.

At the end of the day you can't go wrong with each but it's what is going to work best for you.

Also get your competency done and lodged ASAP

User

Hi and welcome, you are at the right place to get the answers you seek.
    My advice about the firearms mentioned is to try and go shoot both as they are both great firearms, when it comes to carrying a firearm I feel that the most important bit is DEDICATION, im pretty sure you will be able to carry a bigger firearm after getting use to it, but yes, the smaller firearms are easier and more comfortable to carry, My wife has a G26 GEN5 and I really like it, every time I get to hold it I feel as if I want and need one, but I just sold my Glock 19 in order to buy a Glock 45, because I am dedicated to carrying A firearm regardless of it being subcompact or compact or a crossover....

But go look at them and choose which one works for you, you can always get more than one, remember that.
    And be sure to get a decent Kydex holster, Quantum carry is down in the Cape and from what I hear they make excellent holsters.

Good luck with the whole process and remember to be patient.