Default SAPS540 permit to possess more than 200 rounds

Hi All

Does anyone have any experience with the SAPS540 process? I completed the form with a long motivation along with dedicated shooter status and all the other documents that I could think of. My local DFO (and another one in a neighboring town) has never heard of or dealt with the form, so just completed their part and sent it off to the CFR. This was about 2 months ago, and I have no correspondence or proof that I submitted it.

Basically I just want to find out what the chances are that I would get it. It's for a S13 registered Colt1911 that I shoot a lot in training and club shoots, and the 200 round limit is a big pain, especially considering the carry ammo that I also always have. Our local gun ranges don't have gun shops where you could purchase/store range ammo.

I have dedicated status, and know that some people say that the limit then does not apply, but I would rather be safe.

User

Default Re: SAPS540 permit to possess more than 200 rounds

If you have dedicated status then just buy more ammo, you are already compliant as required by law.

User

There is zero need if you have dedicated status.

From the experiences explained here on GS, the application disappears into a black hole for a couple of years, and then you may suddenly get a call to collect the permit. Or not.

There was a opinion posted on NHSA by an advocate a couple of years ago that you are still limited to 200 rounds if you do not have a S16 license for the specific caliber. That's what made me apply for the permit, but there was also a conflicting opinion posted by another advocate which said that the person being a dedicated sport shooter is enough.

I was hoping that my DFO maybe missed something, and that there is another process to follow to ensure that the application is handled. But your black hole theory is probably correct.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by marnus2003 View Post
    There was a opinion posted on NHSA by an advocate a couple of years ago that you are still limited to 200 rounds if you do not have a S16 license for the specific caliber.
    The operative word here is "was". Natshoot eventually realised their error and corrected their stance.

Dedicated status is awarded to you by a SAPS Accredited Association and applies to YOU (the person), not to any specific firearm or licence no matter what section it falls under. It is your responsibility to maintain your Dedicated Status, and your Accredited Association accounts for your continued status every year to SAPS.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

Thank you, I appreciate the clarification.

User

I applied for this certificate & was approved.
    Sadly when you apply, there is no way to track the process.
    You will just need to visit your DFO every 2 weeks from week 8 of application.
    I applied for my S13 9mmp & can keep upto 5000 rounds but 1000 at any given time was enough but hey i aint complaining.

Im now have Dedicated Person status but no S16 license as yet.