Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: My budget hunting rifle build thread

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Oh for sure. I read up a piece the other day by some or other shooter who said that "acceptable" accuracy for most new factory rifles in the budget range (where I bought this one) is 2" groups. That's pretty much where mine shoots with very little trouble, so that's totally acceptable for me. I'm not sorry about the rifle at all, I'm still very very proud of it. Just need to get it on the right diet and it'll be quite happy.
    Howa guarantees sub MOA accuracy on all their rifles with premium factory ammo in the US. Not sure if the guarantee applies here in SA as well but I'm sure we're getting the same rifles

User

Alright, so I got the rifle back from Oom Danie. Bedding job is brilliantly done. Can't wait to get it shooting. Will have to get some loads worked up this coming week so I'm ready for next Sat. Shooting then...

User

Good looking bedding is nice to look at, it is perhaps a sign that who did it has done it before, but is no guarantee of improvement in accuracy.
    I hope in this case you got good looking accuracy.

User

Yeah I'm aware it only does "so much", but at least now I know it's not going to be the bedding if the rifle fires like crap now. Remember the stock was bedded for a different rifle before, and I simply Dremeled the stock to fit mine, so the fit was totally wrong. The bedding also wasn't the best job, which might explain why the guy got rid of the stock. It was lopsided (I asked him about it, and he said he noticed but that's how it fit to his rifle) and skew. So this is a step in the right direction. Next step - load development.

User

Yea, but please, remember bedding can also be the cause of problems, the reason I post the "bummer #93" post was to make you aware that even a good bedding guy can get stress in a bedding or a sea saw affect. The new bedding is VERY likely to be better or correct, but do not approach accurising with the belief that it’s got new bedding it must be right.
    I will try give some examples later, but busy at moment.

User

Oh I fully understand. Bad bedding is worse than no bedding. However, considering how bad the bedding WAS, I just had to re-do it!

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    whether you proud or not, its still a 30 06.
    The 30-06 might be 113 years old but like the 6.5x55, 375 H&H, 7X64, 270win or even 7mm 08 it is as good as many of the latest and greatest calibers. I have a 1981 push feed Winchester 30-06 with visible tool marks in the barrel that shoots half MOA. It can equal or better many modern calibers.

User

Quote Originally Posted by gary-t View Post
    The 30-06 might be 113 years old but like the 6.5x55, 375 H&H, 7X64, 270win or even 7mm 08 it is as good as many of the latest and greatest calibers. I have a 1981 push feed Winchester 30-06 with visible tool marks in the barrel that shoots half MOA. It can equal or better many modern calibers.
    but still !!!!!, whether you proud or not, its still a 30 06.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    but still !!!!!, whether you proud or not, its still a 30 06.

😂😂 nothing riles people up like playfully going after the chinks in their personal armour when it comes to guns;
    *30 06 = 30 nul-kwes
    *6.5 Creedmore guys are like vegans, they’ll let you know they have one (but can’t do much with it)
    *Glocks aren’t perfection - should have got a CZ
    *9.3 owners should just have got a 375, if they are too pansy to take the recoil they could just significantly download the H&H to anemic 9.3 specs (not even going to start on being unable to manipulate a magnum length action and what that signifies about their manhood)

Soooo much fun to be had 😬

User

Quote Originally Posted by CorditeCrazy View Post
    Soooo much fun to be had 
    LOL, until you post chrony data with ES's of 3 and tiny small groups and they wonder why their rifles don't do it

Also 3006 is 30-success!

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast