Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: My budget hunting rifle build thread

Gotta say. the other two stocks are a vast improvement.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Againstthegrains View Post
    Gotta say. the other two stocks are a vast improvement.
    Yeah the stock was the first thing I wanted to replace. I never knew there was a difference between the stocks on the SPS and the SPS Tactical. The SPS Tactical is a much better stock, with aluminium rods for stability in the forend, if I'm not mistaken. The SPS stock on this rifle, eish. I checked out some reviews and stuff on YouTube as well, and they all touted the stock as the rifle's weak point. So when I visited the shop to view my rifle for the first time, the first thing I did was to check the stock on the rifle, and I was not sorry I opted for a new stock. By hand I can pull the stock away from the rifle, and push it closer to the rifle. If you look at the rifle from above, the barrel doesn't sit square in the stock. The grip is cheap and feels like it's going to peel off. The barrel is touching the stock in so many places it's not even funny. It's simply terrible. I decided that even if I change just one thing, the stock will be it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    I decided that even if I change just one thing, the stock will be it.
    Yeah I would have changed the cartridge, because the tired old six will probably shoot the same with the new stock as well.
    On the plus side this rifle will make you a very good hunter, since only shots under 25m are considered ethical with such accuracy.......

Ps, congrats.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Yeah I would have changed the cartridge, because the tired old six will probably shoot the same with the new stock as well.
    On the plus side this rifle will make you a very good hunter, since only shots under 25m are considered ethical with such accuracy.......

Ps, congrats.
    You misunderstand. The new stock is so that it's a better club in the event that I need to use it to hunt. I'll shoot the animal with my pistol and club it to death with the .30-06. Cheapest weapon to feed ever.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    You misunderstand. The new stock is so that it's a better club in the event that I need to use it to hunt. I'll shoot the animal with my pistol and club it to death with the .30-06. Cheapest weapon to feed ever.
    Most ethical honest factual 30 06 owner ever.

User

treeman, I have one of those and it made me an exceptional tracker!

User

A bit later than others I know, but congratulations on your new rifle.

As to the calibre choice, even though you will be clubbing the animal to death, you'll at least have some meat to put in the freezer. If you had gone for the 270, you'd have a nice rug and a pile of, (inedible) raspberry jelly after the hunt.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Drakensberger View Post
    A bit later than others I know, but congratulations on your new rifle.

As to the calibre choice, even though you will be clubbing the animal to death, you'll at least have some meat to put in the freezer. If you had gone for the 270, you'd have a nice rug and a pile of, (inedible) raspberry jelly after the hunt.
    Too much honesty can also be not so nice.

User

LOL. Thanks guys. I got the silencer in the meantime, and also got my licence approved. Just waiting for the card. I'm sincerely hoping it'll come through before the end of next week, then I can collect my rifle (heading that direction). I can't wait!

I also have brass (thanks, you know who you are) and powder (also, you know who you are) so I can start loading and shooting the second the things come through. I'm just in two minds about bullets. I want to load range loads for now, and I'm strongly considering those Frontier Range Masters, but I'm also on the fence with the Lapua Scenars. Also not badly priced at all. Anyone with recommendations?

User

175gn Scenar-L's work great in a 3006, but also look at Impala bullets for range use. Perigrine is also good, though I never shot those myself.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast