Default Curing of Salamis and Ham's required

I will be hunting some bush pig soon and would like to know who or at which butchery/Deli I can have salamis made and cured, not the cooked salami that most butchers make.

I am looking at having cured salamis and cured hams done the traditional way.

I know it takes a very long time to cure it properly and a specific process to make the salami's however that is the process that I require and I understand the curing process can take a year if not longer to do it the correct way.

I am very aware and equally content understanding and knowing that Patience is a Virtue!!!

Please advise if you know of someone that does this type of work.

User

Default Re: Curing of Salamis and Ham's required

I don't know where you are based, but maybe Wicked Food Earth in Hekpoort can help you

User

Good luck

I cured, I smoked.... I cured again

I am now cured!

Of ever doing that EVER again.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

User

I do it as a hobby, but I live in George, so I'm not sure how you will get it to me. I don't think you would find anybody to do it for you because the commercial guys are not interested in a single customer. Your small butcher will not like it because it takes so long, that they will charge the earth to keep it on site. But honestly, most butchers are just blockmen, and have no skill when it comes to the ancient art of turning pork into gold. There are very few who understand the process properly. With that said, you can try schwaben german butchery 011 454 0160. If you want to try doing it yourself there is a good technical book by Marianski https://www.amazon.com/Home-Producti.../dp/0982426739

The biggest problem with the ham is climate control. You need to start in autumn with the salting, and salt and equilibrate in a walk in cool room for the first few months, then you need transfer the ham to a cold south facing room in the middle of winter where the max temperature is between 10-15C. The room will warm slowly as summer approaches, and by December, your ham should be ready. Keep the flies off!!!

For salami you need a chamber at 20C and 90-100% humidity for 72h and then you mature at 16C at 60% humidity for a few months. Most butchers do not have anything that reflects this level of temperature and humidity control. The highveld is too dry, so you land up making droe wors instead of salami.

The other thing, is that bush pig is very lean, and you will have to add pork fat for salami, and the hams will be very hard and dry. You will need a proper deli slicer to cut it, as it will be hard like a rock when it is ready.

User

againstthegrains I think I speak for all of us when I say, please post some pics of your hobby!!!

We went to a Crown national evening awhile back. They had it for Hunters. Show casing their products. Very nice evening. Someone asked about Salami. The Crown guy then said it is a very long process to do correct. It was over 30 days. And you had to monitor the heat and moisture the whole time.

Im sure if you phone the Crown offices in Montague Gardens CPT. They will gladly assist you in the technique.

I just recall it sounded very long process.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Againstthegrains View Post
    I do it as a hobby

The biggest problem with the ham is climate control. You need to start in autumn with the salting, and salt and equilibrate in a walk in cool room for the first few months, then you need transfer the ham to a cold south facing room in the middle of winter where the max temperature is between 10-15C. The room will warm slowly as summer approaches, and by December, your ham should be ready. Keep the flies off!!!

For salami you need a chamber at 20C and 90-100% humidity for 72h and then you mature at 16C at 60% humidity for a few months. Most butchers do not have anything that reflects this level of temperature and humidity control. The highveld is too dry, so you land up making droe wors instead of salami.

The other thing, is that bush pig is very lean, and you will have to add pork fat for salami, and the hams will be very hard and dry. You will need a proper deli slicer to cut it, as it will be hard like a rock when it is ready.
    will also be interested to see some of your produce.
    I gave up on the ham after 3 vrot pieces... that smell was horrible.

Made smoked salami, which is a bit easier (actually a lot easier). we used Kudu, pig mix. It was lekker, but also takes a lot of patience and time.

Quote Originally Posted by Againstthegrains View Post
    I do it as a hobby, but I live in George, so I'm not sure how you will get it to me. I don't think you would find anybody to do it for you because the commercial guys are not interested in a single customer. Your small butcher will not like it because it takes so long, that they will charge the earth to keep it on site. But honestly, most butchers are just blockmen, and have no skill when it comes to the ancient art of turning pork into gold. There are very few who understand the process properly. With that said, you can try schwaben german butchery 011 454 0160. If you want to try doing it yourself there is a good technical book by Marianski https://www.amazon.com/Home-Producti.../dp/0982426739

Apologiesfor only returning to this thread now but I was away.

It is indeed an art form and hence my request as no one really wants to do it properly for all the reasons you quoted.

Pity you are so far away as I am in Pretoria.
    Thanks to all for the leads and info.
    Please do send us some pics of what is should look like and some more interesting reading material regarding food prep and procedures.
    Thanks a million