User

Default DFO fun....renewal

My section 13 pistol was up for renewal.....

A couple of years ago i wanted to change my sec 13 to a sec 16, i was told to wait until it had to be renewed and then just do a 271 application.

I completed the 271 and was told i couldn't do this, i would have to hand the gun in to a gun shop, remove it from my name and then re-apply for a sec 16.

I then completed a 518 form and handed that in.

I had to apply for a comp renewal as well, although the original comp was supposed to be 10 years, it seems to now expire when your section 13 lic expires.

They inspected the safe and gun, it seems they have to write down all markings etc on the gun, so he stripped it down to see the serial number on the barrel....this seems to be different and needed a gunsmith report.
    The serial number on the frame is "02xyz" and "2xyz" on the barrel, they left the leading "0" off on the barrel serial number. There was also a machine mark on the barrel serial number, so it looked like "2x.yz".
    On the lic card it said the frame and barrel serial number was "02xyz".

This is a gun made in 1959, and has been on the system and dealer stock, and no one picked up the missing "0".

Has anyone else had the same issues?

Does anyone know if it is possible to just change it from a sec 13 to 16?

Why would they need a gunsmith report, surely the DFO should just be able to amend it on the system?

Is this the process they are following now?

Default Re: DFO fun....renewal

I also had an issue with a serial number.
    My DFO captured the serial number wrong on my app.

When it reached CFR and was rejected, I still needed a gunsmith report to carry on with the application. My DFO insisted on it, even though it was his mistake.

It's a government employee, I didn't argue.
    It's a fight I wouldnt have won.

Banned

It would help very much if people realises that the job, and getting it done, is more important than the person doing it.

User

With reference to your experience in trying to change the section under which it is licenced......

A few years ago, it seems that this was quite easy to accomplish but it can no longer be done. From a process point of view, they treat a change of section like a new application and the system is unable to handle the new owner and the old owner being the same person. The workaround is then to get it off your name completely and back on again.

I regard it as just another measure designed to inconvenience us.