Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Boer War Firearms

Absolutely, a very interesting time in firearm development and military tactics.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

User

Tom, Are you aware that Dr Ronald Bester completed a doctoral thesis in 2016 through the University of the Free State, “The Small Arms of the Boer Republics: Their Acquisition, Use and Influence, 1880 – 1918” ?

I here refer you to Sect. 4.8 “The Acquisition of Handguns by the Orange Free State”, Page 156 and Sect. 6.9 “the Acquisition of Revolvers by the Zuid-Afrikansche Republiek”, Page 282.

I think it very probable that you would here find the archival information you are seeking. Although the thesis is legally a public document, I don’t think that it would be appropriate for me to dish out copies and I suggest that you either contact Dr Bester or the university direct.

Since it would seem that there is interest in this thread, the Lee Enfield rifles of the Boer War will follow. Perhaps we should also remember the Martini Metfords and Martini Enfields used by the Colonial Forces?

User

Hi Terry.

My name is Dion.
    Thank you for your suggestion. I know Dr Bester very well and will contact him.

I look forward to your further posts. I agree fully regarding the martini's.

Regards

Dion

User

Attachment 30850
    The Magazine Lee Enfields can be regarded as the main British rifles of the Boer War. Top to bottom: Rifles Mk I & I*and Cavalry Carbines Mk I and I*:

As previously mentioned the Mk.I, manufactured from 1895-1900 is essentially a Lee Metford Mk II* in which deeper 5-groove Enfield rifling has replaced the 7-groove Metford. Typically, immediately following manufacture, these rifles went into storage while the parsimonious British allowed the earlier Lee Metfords to wear out through normal regimental usage. Consequently, very few had been issued up to the outbreak of the Boer War in 1899. When this happened, the MLE Mk Is were initially used to arm the reservists recalled to the colours. Shockingly, upon arrival in South Africa these rifles were found to consistently shoot 18 inches to the right at 500 yards! This was due to design error affecting the alignment of the front sight. Amazingly, this had not been detected during accuracy tests due to a system which relied upon group size on the target rather than its location! This ridiculous situation lead to questions in parliament in what became known as “The Great Rifle Scandal”. The manufacturing problem was easily rectified and was also corrected on rifles already issued (such as mine, dated 1898) by replacing the rear sight leaf with one that had its V-notch cut .03” left of centre.

The Lee Enfield Rifle, Mk.I*, manufactured 1899-1905, is in all respects identical to it’s predecessor, the Mk.I except that the clearing rod and all provisions for its attachment in the nose-cap and forend have been removed. It is doubted that this particular example actually saw Boer War service since it is dared 1902 and marked to the Natal Colonial Militia. It is thus from the batch of 4,000 surplus rifles which were offloaded onto the Natal Government when the Volunteers became Militia in 1903.

The Lee Enfield Cavalry Carbine Mk I, manufactured alongside the Mk I rifle, 1896-1900, was it’s equivalent successor to the Lee Metford Carbine, but with a few changes other than the replacing of its rifling with the Enfield pattern. Of these the elimination of the recess for the sling bar on the butt is probably the most obvious. Minor changes were also made to the sighting which as in the case of the Metford Carbine lacked the rifle’s long-range sight and had a leaf marked to 2,000 yards as opposed to the 1,800 of the rifles. The fact that this particular example is marked to the 5th Dragoons with an issue date of November, 1899 is almost certain proof that it saw service in Ladysmith during the siege.

As in the case of the Mk I* Rifle, the equivalent Mk I*Lee Enfield Cavalry Carbine differed from its immediate predecessor merely in elimination oi the clearing rod and associated fittings. Manufactured over the period 1899 to 1903 this weapon was the last cavalry carbine to be used by the British. The inadequacies of these carbines as highlighted during the Boer War helped pave the way for the introduction of the iconic Short Magazine Lee Enfield which was thereafter issued to both cavalry and infantry.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Thanks Terry, apart from the Lee Rifles did the British equip auxiliary troops with other rifles such as Martini’s or Sniders?
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

I have so far found no reference to Sniders, but .450 Martinis were extensively issued to Blacks serving the British. For example in the police or as blockhouse guards. They also sometimes appear in photos of town guards.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Ok thanks Terry
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

Attachment 30856

Attachment 30857

Attachment 30858

This Martini Henry Mk 11 was part of a consignment delivered to the ZAR on 7 February 1890. The firearm was
    a lot of 1981 MH`s stamped 11019 - 13000. It is Birmingham, England proofed. It was issued by the ZAR military.
    This particular firearm was part of a 13000 MH contract by Kynoch.

User

Great info, thanks Terry.

User

Nice 4 pound martini. Thanks for the Info

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast