Quote Originally Posted by Grant9 View Post
    Barrel Material: EN19 Condition 10 Barrel Finish: Black
    Barrel Length: 18 Inch Twist Rate: 1:9
    Gas Tube: Carbine M4

Barrel Length: 20 Inch Twist Rate: 1:9

From their blurb on Dave Sheer website,
    And this is what has me concerned about them as a manufacturer. Why disregard the appropriate gas system length for the longer barrels? I can't imagine a building 20 inch barrel AR with a carbine gas system being a very good idea.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Banned

Default Re: DM4 Semi-Auto

Quote Originally Posted by MFouche94 View Post
    And this is what has me concerned about them as a manufacturer. Why disregard the appropriate gas system length for the longer barrels? I can't imagine a building 20 inch barrel AR with a carbine gas system being a very good idea.

I have a DM4 16 inch barrel, definitely not carbine length gas tube. And since the 4 months I've had it, no problems. It shoots when you pull the trigger, whatever ammo was in the mag, shoots where you aim and the fit and finish is on par with other guns in this price range. Time will tell...

User

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoisOK View Post
    I have a DM4 16 inch barrel, definitely not carbine length gas tube. And since the 4 months I've had it, no problems. It shoots when you pull the trigger, whatever ammo was in the mag, shoots where you aim and the fit and finish is on par with other guns in this price range. Time will tell...
    Ok then it seems they just made a mistake on their spec sheet. Glad to hear you are happy with yours.

User

Quote Originally Posted by MFouche94 View Post
    Another thing that has me concerned about the DM4 line of products is that they offered 18 inch barrel variants with carbine length gas systems. Why neglect the fact that there are appropriate gas system lengths for different barrel lengths?

It's still an odd gas system choice for an 18" barrel. Almost all decent 18" barrels have a gas port location for a rifle length gas system.
    While most of the modern decent quality 16" barrels are going for the mid length gas system (which the mid length was actually designed for a 16" barrel).
    We all know that 99% of entry level guns use a carbine length gas system because that is what was originally specced on the 14.5" M4, (well actually the original 10.5" commando guns, but the gas system was a carry over).

IMO, if the barrels are made in SA, then it shouldn't be a problem to profile it and port it for a rifle length gas system. Win win win.

User

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoisOK View Post
    What gas system does it have? Bit of a cliff hanger there...

User

I completely agree with you (Mr Fouche). I made my DM4 selection over the M&P and Ruger offerings (similar price point) based on actually handling them all and comparing them side by side in a Wildman gun shop. I also had a tape measure on me at the time to obtain a rough approximation of the barrel contour and a defined gas system length, these attributes are of utmost importance to me.

My concern is, I, having had nothing but excellent performance out of my DM4 thus far (1000 rounds to date, hence no comment on the longevity), am tentative to recommend the brand to others looking into purchasing a similar product based on my field experiences with the DM4. Imagine giving advice to a valued friend or colleague on a R20K investment, not to mention the time frame and effort for an S16 license app, only to order one, thinking it is an 18", mid-length gas system, heavy contoured sub MOA rifle, instead said person receives a rifle operating on inappropriate dwell timing, possibly with a different barrel specification etc. Also noting, not everyone has the opportunity to handle their firearms prior to purchase. Based on the fact that my rifle specification differs from the above posted blurb is a concern indeed.

User

This thread has opened my eyes, honestly never knew AR's were so in depth in terms of specs, parts etc
    Very interesting!

User

Hi Stevin

As I have not removed the gas block, I cannot say whether or not I have an intermediate or a mid-length (I go with the least favored, being Mid) on the 18 inch barrel, it is dependent on which of the two gas block pillars house the siphon tube, however here are some measurements below for the standardized lengths measured on the barrel, shoulder to port.

CAR 6.75"
    MID 8.75"
    INT 10.625"
    RIFLE 12.125"

Banned

Operating System: Gas Blow Back
    Caliber: 9mm Para
    Barrel Length: 9 Inch Twist Rate: 1:9 Thread: M14x1
    For-end : Keymod Free Floating Rail
    Stock: Black Synthetic Collapsible
    Muzzle Brake: M4 Bird Cage
    Sights : Optic Ready Includes: 6 x 8 Slot Keymod Rails
    Magazine: 1 x 17rd Magazine
    Trigger: Standard
    Finish: Black Type III Hard coat Anodized
    Upper & Lower : Billet Grade
    Bolt: Carp 158 Heat Treated / MPI / HPT Bolt Carrier: 8620 Heat Treated

Even stranger, this is for their G9 (9mmPCC) gun…gas blowback with a M4 carbine length gas system ?

User

"Even stranger, this is for their G9 (9mmPCC) gun…gas blowback with a M4 carbine length gas system ?"

Indeed, very sad to see.

Being a member of the South African engineering fraternity myself, I do hope these errors are not carried through to the new Musgrave Armalite pattern rifle advertisements, for their sake and the other venerable SA manufacturers such as Truvelo, whom which I am told had a hand in the making of DM4 BCG's.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast