Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Which 22 SLR To Buy

Quote Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
    I own a Sig 522. Very happy with it.
    BUT, would recommend rather go for a bolt-action. Ammo lasts significantly longer...... :)
    Choose something which has easily available magazines. Sig 522 mags are not that easy to get.
    Haha I understand that it's going to end up costing me more to shoot as the ammo is cheaper! Good luck with your search for extra mags.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mikecollinge View Post
    15/22 is real fun. Buy mags and ammo. My gun swallows anything. Put a RDS and then you really play
    That is the plan! I am leaning towards the 15/22 after reading a few reviews on the "Scar"

I looked at this some time back and if money is no issue it seemed to make sense to buy the components separately and put it together. The 15/22 feels real cheap and the shotgun type groups would get frustrating real quick. With an accurate rifle it can be great fun to put up a line of shotgun shells and snipe them.No question though that the 15/22 is well regarded.

Quote Originally Posted by FNBROWNING View Post
    I looked at this some time back and if money is no issue it seemed to make sense to buy the components separately and put it together. The 15/22 feels real cheap and the shotgun type groups would get frustrating real quick. With an accurate rifle it can be great fun to put up a line of shotgun shells and snipe them.No question though that the 15/22 is well regarded.
    Is the accuracy that bad out of it?

User

I looked at a few 22 SLR's and settled on the S&W 15-22. The only upgrade i have made is with a Volquartsen extraxtor. I have had zero issues in plinking or in IPSC matches with the rifle and it eats any ammo i have given it so far.

I have shot out to 200m with open sights and accuractely with my rifle. Accuracy hasn't been an issue.

Only experience I have with a .22 SLR is the Walther Colt. It is extremely accurate,even beating my Bolt action at 50 . Spares and parts will be problamatic though.

User

I own a 15-22 and love it and I can feed it 500 plus Remington Thunderbolts without a jam. BUT will I buy it again, I dont think so. With the price off .22 ammo I would rather buy a 9mm PCC. Cheaper to run and more versatile.
    A buddy of mine owns a Colt Walther, it does not eject the last round and it hast to be shot out. The flimsy tube as a barrel inside the outer barrel I really does not like at all.

User

Between the 2 go for the 15-22. They are popular for a reason. Shooting mini rifle it would be practical to go with an AR platform. Mine has seen around 15k rounds(not sure what the previews owner did) and feeds just about everything accept square nose hollowpoints. Roundnose hollowpoints are GTG.
    Would also look at the 10-22. Lots of options there and a solid gun. Not as sporty as the 15-22 but reliable and fun gun.

Consider what Vaal proposes. 22 ammo is not cheap anymore. if i had to redo it I'll probably rater buy the 9mm carbine, I cast so I can shoot 9mm for less than .22 . An PCC looks like a blast

User

I've a HK 416 22 on its way from the US. It's not quite as an accurate replica of an AR as the 15-22. The paddle bolt release is just for show, for example. Barrel is a pencil barrel in a sleeve with a proprietary thread whereas the 15-22 is WYSIWYG.

From the reviews I've read on it though, people seem to enjoy them.

User

My dads got Ruger SR10/22 and I own a S&W 15/22, both great guns. I feel the ruger is better built gun, no plastic bits like the 15/22, Both feed any type of ammo that we feed them, I had a couple issues of non extraction (5 out of 1000 or so), fitted a volquartsen extractor and put so far about another 1000 rouunds through it without a hiccup, I find that .22 ammo that has a "wax" coating over it tends to gunk up the mag and feed ramp etc causing some jams especially on the 10/22.

We feed maxxtech,fiocchi,S&Bs and thunderbolt ammo through both guns happily, They range anything from R550 to R750 for 500, fiocchis being the more expensive, so you looking around R1.50 a round.

9mm PCC just cant compare if you take into account the shlep of reloading, The .22 semis are very thirsty and an afternoon session can see out 500 rounds especially if your 8 year old comes along.

Accessories for both guns are readily available so it would come down to personal preference, for me it was the AR15 look.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast