Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default CZ Safari Classic II - anyone handled one?

I’m looking to get a dangerous game rifle (probably only for buffalo but we’ll see). I’ve semi chosen the .416 Rigby for a few reasons but that’s the subject of another discussion. I’ve been very interested in the CZ safari classic II and handled one for the first time yesterday. Beautiful gun with a great stock and super smooth action, unlike some of the unpolished 550 models I’ve handled in the past. My concern is with the carbon coating on the bolt itself, besides looking a bit strange (modern) I’m concerned about the durability of it. The magazine plate is also made of carbon. I’ve looked everywhere for a review online but can’t find anything.
    Just want to know if anyone here has had any experience with this ‘fancy’ CZ and what your thoughts are on the carbon?
    I can get over the look of it if it performs well and lasts. I just hope they not trying to be too fancy here...

User

Default Re: CZ Safari Classic II - anyone handled one?

I have several CZ550’s in the larger calibers , all have neen extensively worked on by competent gunsmiths .

Buy yourself the 550 and make some personal modifications to it , you will not regret it .

User

Is it the "diamond-like carbon" that you're worried about? I'm practically 100% sure that's just sales-talk for a case-hardening process on the steel, not that the bolt and floorplate is actually covered in carbon.

ETA:Admittedly I'm a BRNO/CZ rifle fan, but if I read "beautiful rifle, great stock, super smooth action" and 416 Rigby all in one post, I'm just asking why you haven't bought it yet...

Spyderco’s black blades are coated with DLC.

It’s VERY durable. Most of the scuffs you see on the blade is the other material rubbing off on the DLC coating. You can cut through a coke tin, and then clean the blade and realise the DLC coating is 100% intact.

So, if this is a similar coating I wouldn’t be concerned about durability.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

Thanks for the replies so far. It’s not the matte black DLC coating on the barrel and outside of the action that I’m worried about. The magazine floor plate and the actual bolt itself are made of actual carbon! You can see the weave. It then has a clear coating on it to make it smooth. 1. I don’t like the look, would prefer normal steel. And 2. I’m concerned about the durability. Strangely CZ don’t mention this carbon on their site or in the pamphlet on these Safari Classic II rifles and they don’t have a close up pic of it anywhere either. I should have taken a pic when I was there...

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Is it the "diamond-like carbon" that you're worried about? I'm practically 100% sure that's just sales-talk for a case-hardening process on the steel, not that the bolt and floorplate is actually covered in carbon.

ETA:Admittedly I'm a BRNO/CZ rifle fan, but if I read "beautiful rifle, great stock, super smooth action" and 416 Rigby all in one post, I'm just asking why you haven't bought it yet...
    It would have definitely have been bought already if not for this strange ‘improvement’...

User

I doubt the bolt would be carbon fibre. The geometry of a bolt does not lend it to manufacturing from fibre-reinforced plastic (regardless of the unsuitability of the material). The fact that you say you can see the weave provides a clue: perhaps the bolt shank has a layer of CFRP laid up over it. It would serve no functional purpose, but perhaps create appeal to a modern consumer base.

The mag floorplate could perhaps be CFRP. I have heard (but have not tried to confirm) that CZ rifles come from more than one factory, and that rifles from one factory is supplied with a reinforced plastic floorplate (not necessarily CFRP though).

Pics would be interesting. Weight of the bolt and looking at the locking lugs would teel you a bit about the material.

Pretty sure it is all steel barring the DLC coating. Very very slick action. The only downside is that it is big and heavy. Compared to something like a Heym Martini Express it is not as well proportioned and hence lacks feel but that is a personal opinion. Shot neither but handled both.

Pirate I think you are right, the bolt is wrapped in carbon and I can think of no reason why other than looks. And I don't like the look! I think the search continues... A Heym Martini Express could be an option but its out of the budget at the moment. Tempted to make a sacrifice or two to get the rifle I want though!

User

Pure carbon is very brittle and good for almost no load-bearing parts. It is unlikely to be used in any rifle part.

However, the bolt will definitely be made of proper carbon steel. It may have a black carbon-based coating. With the right choice of coating, this will be somewhat "self-lubricating" and make the bolt smoother. Being dry, it will also prevent the collection of dust or the freezing of oil.

The thing with carbon is, it is a component of a lot of materials, including almost every part of a rifle, also stretching as far as our bodies and the air that we breathe. So, stating that a component or coating contains carbon, is just stating the obvious without giving away any trade secrets.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast