Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Gunwarrior internal muzzle brake reviews please

I put a Gunwarrior silencer on my 6.5 Creed this week and took it to the range yesterday. I was disappointed. The recoil reduction was not what I had hoped for. I don’t have a point of reference though as it’s the first time I’ve had a silencer on the 6.5. I do have a silencer on my 30.06 and that silencer really made a big difference to that rifles recoil and noise hence my expectations from a silencer that cost 3.5 times the amount of the one I have on my 30.06.

Now I’m thinking about the internal muzzle brake for the Warrior. Or the same as I have on my 30.06.

Looking for before and after reviews of the Warrior internal brake. Both the normal one and the range friendly brake that the silencer screws on to.

User

Default Re: Gunwarrior internal muzzle brake reviews please

@bowhunter, could it be calibre specific issue?

I have a basic Bushmans suppressor on my 30-06. It's not the best or worst but it makes a substantial difference to my rifle.
    I took my new Creedmoor to the range this weekend to break-in the barrel. After 50 rounds, I fitted a Hausken suppressor which i bought for it. For more than double the price of a Bushman's i was seriously underwhelmed by the recoil and noise reduction. Disappointed in fact!
    I did not even notice a recoil reduction.

My mate at the table next to me had a new A-Tec suppressor on his 300 H&H and that was doing a substantially better job, in my opinion.

User

I have to gun warrior on my 270 as well as my 308 and I've been very impressed with the recoil reduction

The 270 is my wife's rifle and from day one she hated the recoil on it after I fitted the silencer she can't get enough of it

User

Without knowing much about the Creedmoor (apart from that it doesn't have huge case volume) or suppressor design, I'd wager a guess that the fact that it's not a massively recoiling round to start with, coupled with not-that-much gas volume leads to what you're experiencing.

Put differently: half the recoil of the 30-06 is significant. Half of not-that-much-to-start-with is, well, not that much.

User

I have the GW with both brakes on my 300wsm. Best investment I could have made.

When going the GW route always get the internal brake as a minimum.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Without knowing much about the Creedmoor (apart from that it doesn't have huge case volume) or suppressor design, I'd wager a guess that the fact that it's not a massively recoiling round to start with, coupled with not-that-much gas volume leads to what you're experiencing.

Put differently: half the recoil of the 30-06 is significant. Half of not-that-much-to-start-with is, well, not that much.
    Exactly what I've been wondering too.

User

Mate of mine has a GW shorty with internal brake, gun has very little recoil.

I have a large gw with internal brake on a 300WM. Really takes a lot if recoil away. Difficult to give a number but probably 20% better with internal brake compared to silencer alone.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

User

If you study internal (terminal) ballistics there is a point where cartridges gets to a point of diminishing returns, meaning that going bigger is not really going to kill things deader.
    I believe recoil is the same in reverse, the concept is called perceived recoil for a very good reason, once you are above or below the threshold then very little influence after that will be measureable by the user.

Don’t treat this in the way you would car performance, as in this car produces x kilowatt.
    Treat it as a steak, I like my steak x way and that is what I pay for regardless of the input of other people.

In short, your money, don’t ask opinions, test until you get the feeling you want, that is the concept with recoil, nothing more.

Some men dislike fiery redheads and either choose dumb blonds or placid brunets, I rather like fighting, pick your poison.

User

The idea that a muzzle brake (not break, mind you) that is hidden inside a supressor will have any effect on recoil is just silly. A muzzle brake works on the princile of changing the direction of the gas exiting the muzzle. If it is enclosed inside a supressor, the supressor housing will just turn any gas that was deflected sideways, back forward again. Being a supressor, it will however slow that gas down, thus reducing the recoil already.

The effect of a muzzle brake (or similar) inside an enclosed supressor will be to help disrupt the muzzle blast and thus help to reduce the noise. Nothing more.

The brakes that sit at the front of a supressor and that let the gas excape sideways from the supressor, they do actually help to reduce the recoil even more than the supressor would on it's own.

The 6,5CM is a relatively mild-recoiling cartridge to start with, so the amount of actual recoil reduction is not all that noticeable. Nor is it an issue, except if you need to see your bullet impact through a high-magnification scope.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    If you study internal (terminal) ballistics there is a point where cartridges gets to a point of diminishing returns, meaning that going bigger is not really going to kill things deader.
    At the risk of getting pendantic, ballistics are basically divided into 3 sections:
    1. Internal: Everything that happens between primer strike and bullet base exiting the muzzle.
    2. External: The study of the flight of a bullet between muzzle and target.
    3. Terminal: The study of bullet behaviour inside the target (and beyond).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast