Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Help in identifying AK

thats why factory 66 chinesed milled AK's are so desired as well

Russian supplied tooling

current Type 56 is a hybrid 47 and akm in terms of gas ports, gas block etc

User

This knowledge (plus a few rands to be sure) will get a a beer in a bar Or you'll end up in a heated argument with the same guy who will swear the allied forces had their Sten submachine clips(sic!) welded(!) on the gun which was thrown away after the clip(sic!) was empty and they started to PEW-PEW with another Sten...

The things you hear.

There are only a few books which can actually tell the real story of the AK with the correct nomenclature, haven't read Larry Vickers' books though, but I believe he's got it right since we share the same sources from the Kalashnikov factory.

That AK in Grobbie's post is a nice specimen of the second successful mass production version: a bit of love, care and rubbing with oily rag will rejuvenate it nicely.

User

Quote Originally Posted by GAZZAMCK View Post
    also already having tooling equipped for milling blocks helped alot :)
    Exactly

User

Quote Originally Posted by AK-Gunner View Post
    Exactly
    I still want a trusty old Mosin

User

Common error caused by false information floating around. The original production rifle called AK-47 was a stamped steel version of the weapon. Yes, stamped steel. But there were lots of problems with the manufacturing process in the less than perfect soviet factories, the riveting technique with 1 mm thin sheets of steel was one of the most important ones, so the Kalashnikov team came up with a quick and dirty solution: a milled receiver.
    Technically the only AK-47s were prototypes and 1500 pre-production guns. When the initial stamped receiver version you mention went into full scale production it became the AK.

User

There's a bit of confusion about this even among the Kalashnikov staff and the Soviet military: I've seen the first version of the AK-47(!) maintenance and user manual handed to the troops which was using the said "AK-47" nomenclature, so even the military wasn't sure what they were adopting and with which name. There's a story floating around which states that there were only four prototypes which were actually called AK-47 and the first mass production version should've been called AK type 1, but there really was this "zero" series which was still called AK-47 by the designers.

And the name stuck...

User

Weren't the first models two art receivers, hybrid of stamped and milled?

User

In 1946, a new design competition was initiated to develop a new assault rifle.[30] Kalashnikov submitted an entry. It was gas-operated rifle with a short-stroke gas piston above the barrel, a breech-block mechanism similar to his 1944 carbine, and a curved 30-round magazine.[31] Kalashnikov's rifles AK-1 (with a milled receiver) and AK-2 (with a stamped receiver) proved to be reliable weapons and were accepted to a second round of competition along with other designs.
    These prototypes (also known as the AK-46) had a rotary bolt, a two-part receiver with separate trigger unit housing, dual controls (separate safety and fire selector switches) and a non-reciprocating charging handle located on the left side of the weapon.[31][32] This design had many similarities to the STG 44.[33] In late 1946, as the rifles were being tested, one of Kalashnikov's assistants, Aleksandr Zaitsev, suggested a major redesign to improve reliability. At first, Kalashnikov was reluctant, given that their rifle had already fared better than its competitors. Eventually, however, Zaitsev managed to persuade Kalashnikov.n November 1947, the new prototypes (AK-47s) were completed. It used a long-stroke gas piston above the barrel. The upper and lower receivers were combined into a single receiver. The selector and safety were combined into a single control-lever/dust-cover on the right side of the rifle. And, the bolt-handle was simply attached to the bolt-carrier. This simplified the design and production of the rifle. The first army trial series began in early 1948.[34] The new rifle proved to be reliable under a wide range of conditions with convenient handling characteristics. In 1949, it was adopted by the Soviet Army as "7.62 mm Kalashnikov assault rifle (AK)"

User

This is one of those topics I generally discourage people from quoting a Wikipedia-article... I'm an editor too, but there are too many questionable elements on this article I wouldn't bother to use time for editing, all corrections will be anyways adamantly corrected back depending on each editors source. Which are plentiful and mostly vague.

All the way from the factoid that the weapon was presumably designed by Mikhail Kalashnikov. Nope... Even he himself was bored with the propaganda legend of himself, so he changed his story during the years until he finally managed to drink himself dead in the ripe age of 94 years.

Maybe we are veering way off the original subject, sorry...

User

This is one of those topics I generally discourage people from quoting a Wikipedia-article... I'm an editor too, but there are too many questionable elements on this article I wouldn't bother to use time for editing, all corrections will be anyways adamantly corrected back depending on each editors source. Which are plentiful and mostly vague.

All the way from the factoid that the weapon was presumably designed by Mikhail Kalashnikov. Nope... Even he himself was bored with the propaganda legend of himself, so he changed his story during the years until he finally managed to drink himself dead in the ripe age of 94 years.

Maybe we are veering way off the original subject, sorry...
    Used more to illustrate timeline between models ,type 1, 2,3 etc rather than the thousand viewpoints of kalash and who actually designed the weapon hee hee

if we really wanted to get into it we could look at chinese, bulgarian type 2 etc, they would be classified the same as an AR15 whether its stag, norinco or colt, they are AR15s.

for simplicity it has essentially been watered down to the generic terms we know

milled russian equals ak47 (yes I know, I know,) this is probably only because as mentioned the stamped models were crude, unreliable and not really service use
    then AKM all stamped modified, regardless of origin

The best thing to me, One can pick up a russian AKM in JHB, and use the bolt in a type 56
    It really is the rifle to have in africa

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2