Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Hunting with a light bow

If you can take a look at a mission riot or Mission Craze. You can adjust the draw weight and draw length on then with just an Allen key. Second hand prices should be low on then as bows do not have a good second hand value.

User

I shoot a 67lb Hoyt. I would say anything over 45lb is usable.
    draw weight, however, is only part of the equation here...

You have arrow speed and weight, which is tied in, along with draw length...

A slow heavy arrow will give you NO value hunting impala and warthog. even at 15 or 20meters, they will string jump you. Also, over distance, momentum becomes an issue, and you might not get enough penetration with a fast light arrow, so bigger animals might become an issue, or even hitting a shoulder blade or leg (or even ribs) on smaller game.

Having said that, bwb are tough, and they will run, even with a massive cut and arrow passthrough. Kudu cows are not that tough. as mentioned, impala and warthog are ridiculously fast and nervous targets.

I would suggest a medium weight bow (50-60lbs) with correct draw length for you, and shooting arrows of about 450grain weight, at speeds over 300fps. With this, you should be good for anything up to eland, and ranges up to 35. You will be marginal speed wise on impala and warthog, but for this you can build lighter arrows (closer to 300grain) for the extra speed, and reduced kinetic energy requirement. I would still stick VERY close on these fast movers.

As stated, shot placement is critical with bow hunting for ethical kills...

User

On stores. If you do come to Pretoria. Visit Archers Edge.

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    At the Archery fields the guys shoot with 35lbs revurve up to 90 to 100m.

So a person does not need alot of lb for range.

Only for hunting 35 will off course be a little low.
    Thanks for the info.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Antlion View Post
    On stores. If you do come to Pretoria. Visit Archers Edge.
    Yes, that was the other store! I'll definitely be visiting them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SJB View Post
    If you can take a look at a mission riot or Mission Craze. You can adjust the draw weight and draw length on then with just an Allen key. Second hand prices should be low on then as bows do not have a good second hand value.
    Thanks. I've seen a few of them for sale. They get snapped up pretty quickly.

User

Yeah honestly those where the stores I wanted to mention. I'm not a big fan of Blades and Triggers. You'll pitch up looking for a hunting bow and you'll leave with a flower petal gun that's non-lethal because you don't require a licence.

Or something.

User

My first bow was a 50-60lb PSE, I can't remember the model but it was SLOW. I shot around 480-500gr arrows (cant remember exactly) and had pass-throughs on most animals I shot with it.

A newer 60lb bow is way more effective than an 80lb bow from the 80's so buy a 60lb one with confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by fkritzinger View Post
    I shoot a 67lb Hoyt. I would say anything over 45lb is usable.
    draw weight, however, is only part of the equation here...

You have arrow speed and weight, which is tied in, along with draw length...

A slow heavy arrow will give you NO value hunting impala and warthog. even at 15 or 20meters, they will string jump you. Also, over distance, momentum becomes an issue, and you might not get enough penetration with a fast light arrow, so bigger animals might become an issue, or even hitting a shoulder blade or leg (or even ribs) on smaller game.

Having said that, bwb are tough, and they will run, even with a massive cut and arrow passthrough. Kudu cows are not that tough. as mentioned, impala and warthog are ridiculously fast and nervous targets.

I would suggest a medium weight bow (50-60lbs) with correct draw length for you, and shooting arrows of about 450grain weight, at speeds over 300fps. With this, you should be good for anything up to eland, and ranges up to 35. You will be marginal speed wise on impala and warthog, but for this you can build lighter arrows (closer to 300grain) for the extra speed, and reduced kinetic energy requirement. I would still stick VERY close on these fast movers.

As stated, shot placement is critical with bow hunting for ethical kills...
    That is really is good information. Thank you.
    Would you be able to tell me which 50lb to 60lb bows can shoot 450 grain arrows at 300fps?

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Yeah honestly those where the stores I wanted to mention. I'm not a big fan of Blades and Triggers. You'll pitch up looking for a hunting bow and you'll leave with a flower petal gun that's non-lethal because you don't require a licence.

Or something.
    I have a similar problem with most hunting and fishing shops. Not the, "leaving with a flower petal gun" part, but leaving with a lot more than I'd intended to buy.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast