Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default New member seeking advice

Good morning Members,

I am new to this site and I am hoping to get some good advice.
    I enjoy my hunting and being in the bush but unfortunately don't do it enough.
    I own a Brno 30-06 with a Redfield 3-9x40 Scope and a Winchester 12 gauge pump action.

I haven't shot either of these in over 7 years and was invited on a hunt so I went to the range and dropped some lead ( too much to be honest ).
    Now I was not happy with the grouping that I was achieving and made changes to where I was satisfied over 100m.
    I had to buy some more ammo and almost shat myself on the cost of premium rounds, so I managed to get PMP but still at R500 a box for me is steep.
    The advice I am seeking is to do with Target practice and hunting using the same setup but with different bullets/projectiles, both 180gr and from the same Manufacturer.
    The one for target is un-bonded and the other is bonded ( Hunting ).
    What would the difference be in grouping, I was told that this will not differ between the two types.
    I really do enjoy shooting and would like to do it more frequently but if I can't find a cheaper way of achieving this will be a problem.
    As it is I already play golf and that ain't cheap.
    Would buying a .22 LR be a better bet or is this a waste of time and money?
    I just want to be confident in the bush when taking the shot and the only way of achieving this is by shooting more at the range.

I am sure this has been discussed many a time but I would appreciate any type of advice and thank you for taking the time to read this.

Kind regards,
    Trevor.

User

Default Re: New member seeking advice

Welcome!

User

Welcome Trevor1234

Decisions decisions...
    Golf or more shooting...??
    Definitely more shooting for me.

User

Welcome

A .22 would be great for practise.

You can also reduce the costs of shooting quite significantly by reloading your own ammo, but this will require an initial capital outlay to set yourself up. Maybe you have a buddy that already reloads who can help you out by letting you do your own loading on his equipment to see if reloading really is for you?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor1234 View Post
    As it is I already play golf and that ain't cheap.
    Next you tell us you that you drive a BMW, your knife is a Kershaw and your girlfriend is blond?

Welcome to Gunsite - we gladly help.

To get to the serious stuff:

A large part of your accuracy troubles are probably due to a lack of practice.

If you which to practice with PMP bruinboks and hunt with PMP ProAmm, please do. Just make sure that you know the trajectory of the Pro-Amm should it differ much from the standard ammunition. The choice of bullet would not make such a large difference for most regular work. Shot placement is of more importance.

Do you reload? That would give you the chance to practice cheaper.

And get yourself a 223 for other purposes.

The .22LR is good for trigger discipline, but it is not the same as a larger calibre.

Just check 22lr ammo reasonably pricey. So not as big saving as in old days.

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    Just check 22lr ammo reasonably pricey. So not as big saving as in old days.
    Still a moer of a lot cheaper per round than factory 30-06.

Trevor, buy the 22LR (if you play golf you should be able to afford a new CZ or suchlike ) and get the trigger time.

We're all fris manne and not of course scared of a little recoil, but the ZKK (which I assume your rifle is) is not heavy, and chambered in 30-06 the recoil will be stout (applicable for both english and afrikaans meanings). My ZKK in 308 kicked me blue over 15rds, before I fitted a quality recoil pad (Pachmayr Decelerator), which increased the length of pull by 1" and made for a significantly softer butt-shoulder interface. Please dont go chop the barrel and stick a silencer on it, there are few enough pristine ZKKs remaining (I presume yours is).

The 22LR will give you trigger time and the practise to get rid of any possible flinch. At the end of a 22LR session shot a few (5 or so) slow, deliberate shots with the 30-06 (I'd recommend a light factory load, PMP 150gr ammo is close to 308 performance so should serve well here). The moment you realise you start anticipating the shot, stop, and either go back to the 22 or call it a day and come back next time. Rinse and repeat, and later on you realise that you barely think about shooting the 30-06.

Welcome to Gunsite, enjoy!

A bit of both

Thank you for your reply.
    I do have friends that reload and will look at this.
    I am just wanting to make sure that if I put a Claw 180gr bullet for target shooting and Claw 180gr for hunting that there won't be much loss in accuracy overall.

Hi Pirate,
    I love my rifle and yes it is the ZKK
    Hey skop, maar nie te bad nie ;)
    Its loud but more harmonic than anything else. music to my ears.
    Was thinking about the silencer but have decided against it.
    I am just wanting to make sure that if I put a Claw 180gr bullet for target shooting and Claw 180gr for hunting that there won't be much loss in accuracy overall.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast