Default Beretta 84 vs Taurus TH9C

Hi all. Some advice please.

Looking for a SD for my wife.
    The pistols I currently own are a Beretta 72 and a HK P30SK. Both DA/SA, controls in similar places so relatively uniform.

My wife loves the Beretta (obviously shoots well with a. 22).

My logic is for her pistol to have a similar platform to operate. So whatever she gets her hands on when in the kak and in the dark she will be good to go and minimal thinking required to operate.

I am also thinking 9mm short for her.

The only similar new pistol I can find is the Taurus Th9c. Never owned a Taurus, hear they were not great but now a better "budget" gun. Accuracy reviews seem to be mixed but that could be down to ammo used. The Taurus has a rail so more home time practice with the Mantis X.

The Beretta 84 is obviously a tank that will keep on going for generations.

If I could get either one, Beretta used or the Taurus new for R4k... Which one?

Alternative suggestions welcome as long as they are backed by logic 😜

Cheers

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Default Re: Beretta 84 vs Taurus TH9C

The difference in recoil between 9mm para and short is negligible, also decent SD ammo in short is MUCH more expensive. Also if you’re ant a budget gun rather look at a Gen 3 Glock, don’t get a Taurus
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

You love your wife I assume? Spend more on her defensive gun. She deserves it. :)

Glock 42 is nice. 48 is awesome if she can conceal it.

User

I own and shoot a B84. It is a lovely pistol. It also weighs about as much and is just as big as my Glock19. The recoil impulse on the B84 is significantly sharper than from a G19. No, the B84 is not built like a tank. The frame, made from aluminium, tends to peen from shooting significant amounts of factory-spec ammo. This usually becomes visible at around 1500 rounds. I still like mine, but it is not comparable to a modern defensive pistol. For the same size and weight, there are a few good options available, the current offers on the Glock 19 gen 3 being one example. Also look at the similarly sized Girsan MC28. They cost slightly less and seem to offer good value.

The smaller Glocks (43, 43X, 48, 26) might be even better suited. A big advantage of the type is the simplicity. Just point and click. Makes the manipulation and training much easier.

Don't buy a Taurus, and especially not a plastic-framed model. Even if you get it for free, it's still not worthwhile. If you value your wife that low, you have more pressing issues to attend to...

User

Its better to leave a Taurus Pistol on the kitchen table so that you can easily out gun the intruders if they pick it up....

My wife has a Glock 26 Gen5, she likes it, I love it, nice fat grip and relatively easy to control given the dimensions.

As for subcompact, im in the market for one, as a back up gun, I really want a G43, but I cant get over the 6+1 capacity, so leaning towards a G43X, go look at them, all of them, you will find the right one, and buy once cry once, I bought my wife the best subcompact handgun which I could afford because I love her and want her to be able to defend herself against whatever evil, dont cheap out....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback.
    She is the proud new owner of a Glock 42

User

User

Quote Originally Posted by imman meffert View Post

The Beretta 84 is obviously a tank that will keep on going for generations.
    Nope. The Beretta 70, 80 and 90 families of designs are artful and beautiful. But they are NOT tanks. That particular piece of folk wisdom comes from the fact that millions of these guns have been issued over decades to low use and low impact personnel. But they are among my favorite clockworks though :) I do not own more of them because I am not a historical collector with an interest in them particularly.

The only similar new pistol I can find is the Taurus Th9c. Never owned a Taurus, hear they were not great but now a better "budget" gun. Accuracy reviews seem to be mixed but that could be down to ammo used. The Taurus has a rail so more home time practice with the Mantis X.

I think I will water down my feelings and viewpoint a lot and tried to be very polite and diplomatic about my answer to this. I hope I do not soften that up to the point where my message would be lost:

While the Beretta, being such an elegant and classic design, perhaps not as robust as people want to believe it is, are pretty cool guns, the Taurus on the other hand is a dangerously life threatening piece of shit built by a company that in genuinely evil, duplicitous and uncaring.

Hope this help :)

Thanks for the feedback.
    She is the proud new owner of a Glock 42

Many Congrats! That is awesome. First prize. Both my wife and I have 42's too. Welcome to the club.

Thanks Piet.
    If that is the watered down version I would love to hear the detailed version... 😭😭😭
    Makes sense, thanks.

Looking forward to spend more range time with her.